Fighting Ducks

Everything I've researched states you need at least 2 females for every male or the will be infighting. I've not got 1st hand experience as my ducklings are only 3 1/2 weeks old but I've been researching and studying for almost a year before getting my first ducks.

Everything I've researched states you need at least 2 females for every male or the will be infighting. I've not got 1st hand experience as my ducklings are only 3 1/2 weeks old but I've been researching and studying for almost a year before getting my first ducks.

Generally you do want three to four females per male. But sometimes pairs work fine. I have a pekin female and WH male that paired off and for a couple months they were the only two ducks I owned, and they do fine as a pair. So it does vary. It's pairs as the bare minimum, and if that doesn't work out then three to four females per male is best.

Young Drakes can be Randy and hard on Hens..Each Drake though treats Hens differently. The key is not having more Drakes in one pen with Hens..Friend just called me today wondering how her Chicken is missing a chunk of skin of her side?..Totally the Ducks...Drake or a Hen grabbed her.

Hey everyone!! I didn't get any notices that I had any replies so I thought no one wrote me back until I just logged in today. Thank you all so much for your advice and your time. Apparently they seemed to have worked it out and are now roaming the yard once again in a pack

Gokd to hear! :D

We have 4 ducks. I’m not sure how many are males/females. We got them March 2017 and they have been together since, never separated. They live in our pond. Due to the horrible below freezing weather, the pond has frozen and we brought them into the garage and put them in a pin. We only did this bc our backyard has multiple animals like coyotes, deer and raccoons. Once the pond freezes it gives the coyotes and raccoons a chance to get on the ice and attack the ducks. We have had them in the pin for almost a month. They won’t eat their normal corn and hardly want to pick at anything we give them. They still drink plenty of water. Within the last few weeks,they have all started to fight. Pulling each other’s feathers out, biting the others beaks. The way they fight looks absolutely horrible. Normally they won’t let you touch them, but when they fight, it’s hard to pull them away or make them stop. Currently, one duck has been their victim. The eyes are pussy and there are several feathers missing from the back of his/her neck. I hate seeing this. We are going to try to separate this one from the group and see if he/she can recover. We don’t have a lot of room to separate them all. And due to the extreme cold weather and the frozen pond we can’t really put them back outside right now. (It was horrible trying to get them off the ice and get them in the garage, they were little stinkers). Anyone have any suggestions? Or know what they are doing and why? I heardthat when ducks mate or have sex it is pretty aggressive.. but I can’t find a lot of information on why they are acting like this. They used to protect each other and I’ve never seen them do this before. Help please.
I also don’t know how to start a new forum, so sorry to bum off this one.

For sure separate the one that is suffering from abuse from the others and give it time to heal. Maybe go with separating in 2's just make sure who you put in with the hurt one isn't being aggressive towards it. Also post some pics of your ducks full length body so we can see what you have drake to female. Drakes will get a curled tail feather at base of tail and have a raspy voice where girls are loud when they quack

For sure separate the one that is suffering from abuse from the others and give it time to heal. Maybe go with separating in 2's just make sure who you put in with the hurt one isn't being aggressive towards it. Also post some pics of your ducks full length body so we can see what you have drake to female. Drakes will get a curled tail feather at base of tail and have a raspy voice where girls are loud when they quack

X2, very important to get them separated and find out how many males and females you have.

Also, do you feed them a proper poultry feed? I ask because you mention they are not eating their corn. Corn should only be a treat, definitely not all they are fed.

Back
Top Bottom