Fighting female dogs

Quote:
Rage syndrome huh? I've never heard of that and will research. There is usually someone home with them since I am retired. You are right about the problem with separating them. I have used chairs, baseball bats and other things to no avail. The only thing that works is to wheelbarrow them apart. It takes two people and each grabs a back end and pulls them apart. They are so focused on each other that they don't even realize what's going on. They calm down pretty quick after that. But Bits will literally vibrate until she calms down. Thanks for the clue.

i myself own a corgi and your not the 1st corgi person to have that problem it doesnt matter the sex honestly corgis are just a bossy breed and to put to bossy breeds with each other is a problem somtimes ive even seen a male and a female who have been living with each other for years go at it i also live in maryland to by the way funny lol

Last edited:
Since the older dog is obviously the aggressor (atleast from what you're describing) I would definately try using one of the muzzles for her most of the time and also keeping them seperated - letting them outside seperately but doing 'training' time together.

Honestly in my experience and knowledge corgis are like pit bulls, very dog aggressive and dominant but in a smaller package. You need to do extensive training either by yourself or with a trainer to correct this problem or your 5 yr old Bits is going to wind up dead - or disfigured by the older one. You need to put your foot down with both of them, reinforce that YOU are boss not them, if they get into a fit - seperate them in two crates side by side but do not verbally or physically reprimand them in any other way - just once they are apart stick them both in their crates side by side and leave them for a few minutes, then return to them to check them over for injuries (if the fight wasn't a really bad one) .... Little dogs are let get away with too much - people treat them more like humans than dogs and they get uncontrolable. with two dogs that stubborn and aggressive/bossy breed you are asking for trouble.

These dogs need to be worked with every day on "sit, stay, come, heel, lie down, wait (wait at door, wait at crate, wait at food bowl, etc wait means calm and relaxed and then you get let out, or get fed)" you need to slowly introduce them together even in crates - feeding them and increasing their closeness while in the crates to each other while eating. Verbally reprimanding with an 'ahnt' sound when one growls or lunges through the crate aggressively at all and then verbally prasing for good behavior - ignoring. The aggressor should be muzzled for a few weeks most of the time when with the other dog - so that if she tries to attack - she can not harm the other one. If they are both aggressors and both start fights - muzzle them both when they are together and could AT ALL potentially get into a situation with an aggressor stimulus. Another approach is trying a shock collar but I figure that would be about as useful as putting one on a chow chow or akita - useless when fixated. Make sure to exercise them plenty - keep them active and tire them out everyday. This breed is active and has lots of energy that needs to be burned off.

Anyway - good luck and for the dogs' sake I hope you can solve this issue without a dead Bits.

Quote:
If you have the money, I would highly suggest contacting Cesar Millan, the dog whisperer. He has a show on National Geographic. If you have not spayed your dogs, I would suggest doing that. Also, your dogs may have too much energy. Make sure your dogs are getting enough exercise each day or they will become frustrated and take it out on each other.

I work with dogs for a living and have a pack of 7 that live in my home. We do rescue so there are always dogs coming and going. We mainly have large Bully breeds, but also a small dog too. Anyways, we too have dealt with many fights, particularly with one dog who is a resource guarder of food, people, things, spaces, etc. Your Corgi sounds like it is also resource aggressive to some extent.

What has helped us:

We can never show affection to the dog's next to each other.
We feed them separately, and in the garage where they only go for feeding time. When we used to feed in the kitchen if any kibble spilled on the floor, hours later our dog woild become possessive of that space.
The aggressive dog is not aloud around the couch where he becomes aggressive of us.
The aggressive dog is only shown affection when he is behaving well, or has done something like sit, down etc.
Tough love is the most important thing around here - otherwise the dog's think they rule the place.
No bones are kept out, period. Any food that is spilled is promptly cleaned up.

These methods/ideas have REALLY helped reduced the fights around here. I have worked with many trainers with this dog in particular and I finally feel a lot more confident about having him around the dogs. Most of the time he loves the others dogs, but we're always on guard.

Also learn to read every TINY sign that your dog is about to attack. My guy doesn't growl, you see a slight eye flicker before he attacks and that's the only warning. Every dog is different, but if you watch enough you can see signs when they're about to start.

Good Luck!

agreed
Quote:
If you have the money, I would highly suggest contacting Cesar Millan, the dog whisperer. He has a show on National Geographic. If you have not spayed your dogs, I would suggest doing that. Also, your dogs may have too much energy. Make sure your dogs are getting enough exercise each day or they will become frustrated and take it out on each other.

I have dealt with many Corgis. There is a breeder here who is well known for having extremely aggressive Corgis and you have got to watch them like a hawk. We have one in class from that breeder right now, and fortunately the owner is extremely aware.

There is a product on the market now called Clomicalm. It is a seratonin re-uptake inhibitor and might be a good thing to try with both your dogs.

If these dogs are left together, they will continue to fight. We have had one dog like that and 95% of the time she was great, but that 5% caused her to be separated for life from the other dogs, because it was not worth the risk. The warning was about 10 seconds of eye contact and that was it.

I have had to break up fights by myself several times. You can drag them to a doorway and bounce a door off their heads and then shut it when one lets go. Believe me, some one will let go if you do it hard enough.

The most effective way, and the nastiest one, is to stick your finger up the aggressor's butt. It really does get their attention. I did it one time with an extremely dog aggressive dog and it immediately released with a "what the !@#$ are you doing?!" expression.

You might try Clomicalm and basket muzzles together and see what happens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom