Fighting in Keyport, NJ

joestahl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 4, 2012
We are trying to get the ordinance changed in Keyport NJ. We've had chickens since April, and were under the impression that we were allowed to. We know at least 4 other families that have them in town, and were told by a council member that it was ok. Now, we have the Humane Society trying to take them away because a neighbor complained. This neighbor is known for complaining about things. He lives diagonally behind us. Our 2 immediate neighbors on either side, and the one directly behind us have no problem with them, and say they never hear them.
Last night, a resolution was passed at the council meeting, keeping the Humane Society off our back until an ordinance can be brought up for a vote.
My wife came up with an idea to make up lawn signs, and I thought we should make up some t-shirts for the kids to wear to the next meetings. I need some help coming up with effective, bullet-style lists for these topics, so they can be read and digested quickly.
The first idea is:
The benefits of having backyard chickens:
  • Good pest control

And the second idea:
Some things that are louder than my backyard chickens:
  • Dogs barking
  • Motorcycles
  • My neighbor's pool filter all summer

Any ideas people can come with are appreciated!

The benefits of having backyard chickens:
Fresh eggs
Stress relief
Educational
Entertaining
Fertilizer for your garden
Roosters make great watch dogs and alarm clocks

That's all I've got right now, if I think of any more I'll let you know. Good luck, I hope you get to keep your chickens!

Thanks, those are some good ones. Roosters will not be allowed, so I think I'll stay away from that one.

I would also have lists of facts to hand out to people. Local towns that do allow chickens...I think Aberdeen township allows them...just look up the different places around you...it's not going to drop property value etc. and you can show them the towns that allow it and have no problem with value decreasing etc.

Take pictures of your coop nice and clean and maintained and have them available to show people...many people just think of chickens as dirty etc ...

Last a picture of your chickens being held by your kids...show them as your pet and people will think twice.

Also if one or all of those neighbors is willing to write a letter on your behalf that would be awesome...them supporting you is nice :)

Educate neighbors and encourage your kids to tell their friends...it helps a lot.

Some great ideas, Sally! I hadn't thought about lawn mowers, that's a great one.
The pictures idea is good too, maybe we'll have the kids put together a poster board to display at the meetings.
The neighbors all said they would do whatever we need from them, it's nice to know we have so many nice neighbors (except for the one).
I'll try to find out what towns around us allow chickens (not as easy as it sounds).
Our kids are homeschooled, and we are turning this whole thing into a learning project for them. The more we can include them in, the better.

Rough the ornery neighbor up just right and he'll make more noise than the chickens too. Not socially or politically correct, I know, but drag old Orn'ry out in the street and settle it, knuckle and skull. Problem solved. When did America become a nation run by disgruntled old farts who just can't get along with others? Years ago, someone would have cleaned his plow for him, and he'd probably have chickens himself, rather than just being an old wet hen.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2011/01/city_of_jersey_city_encouragin.html

http://www.northjersey.com/news/bergen/139201039_Chickens_and_the_law.html?scpromo=1

Are chickens welcome in your town?
As Wayne debates whether to amend local restrictions on residents keeping backyard chickens, North Jersey is a patchwork of varying degrees of tolerance. Where are chickens allowed and where are they banned? Here’s a sampling:

West Milford: Permitted on one-acre lots, except in housing developments.

Mahwah: Coops must be 100 feet from property lines.

Kinnelon: Up to 25 chickens allowed in coops away from houses.

Pompton Lakes: Code applies only to coops of 1,500 chickens and up.

Oakland: Chickens allowed on one-acre-plus lots.

Franklin Lakes: One allowed for every 1.5 square foot of coop/run space.

Wyckoff: Chickens allowed on five acres and up.

Ridgewood: One allowed for every 3 square feet.

Paramus: Allowed, with a permit, away from homes.

Alpine: Permitted, but regulated by sanitary code.

Teaneck: Banned.

Hackensack: Allowed, with a permit, away from homes.

Paterson: Banned.

Totowa: Maximum 10 chickens, kept in a coop.

Pequannock: Three birds per acre, confined to coop and away from homes.

Back
Top Bottom