Fighting in Keyport, NJ

Positive, Effective for reducing landfill waste. They convert vegetable scraps to eggs. Will save the township money.
http://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/20...s-can-save-big-time-tax-payer-dollars-part-1/

Unfortunately you can have 6 dogs in an average yard. Dog waste cannot be composted for your vegetable or flower beds. Chicken manure can.
Unfortunately cities can have high density housing, 50 people, plus their dogs, and cats per acre. Then the same town council will say 6 chickens per acre is overcrowding and cannot be supported.

Letters from your nieghbors might help, but their presence and comments at the town hearings are much, much more effective.

I can empathize with your plight. I am in the same boat. I raised my 5 hens from chicks and have had them for over a year in an attractive, contained coop/run. I have taken great pains to keep it immaculate--decorate it for the Holidays and clean out the droppings from coop and run DAILY, composting them in an odor-filtered compoost barrel.
Last December, I received a notice of violation from the town, and was told that a neighbor (who has remained anonymous) complained.
However, after a good conversation, my town zoning officer, etc. seemed to understand that there were far more important issues to be delt with, and I was allowed to keep the hens until further notice...I have no doubt that the issue was put aside completely, until I received another notice about the chickens (and high grass!) a week ago. The neighbor will not let up, and must have waited for the one day our grass got a little high (it had rained for a week), and called the town right away.
At least you know which neighbor it is. I can only assume. I wonder if it's the neighbor who has multiple unregistered vehicles parked in the street; the neighbor who has 6 yappy dogs that bark and howl evey night at 11pm (I can hear them in my house, halfway down the block, even though they are inside!); the neighbor who leaves their cat out 24/7; the neighbor who leaves out food for feral cats; the neighbors with dogs that bark nonstop whenever they are allowed outside--even when there is nothing to bark at...

I'm waiting things out again with fingers crossed, but I have found some good information online to help plead the case when/if I need to. You might want to start an online petition and/or create a website. I came across this person's--she's in Mantua NJ, going through the same struggle. She has a lot of good info.: http://hens4mantua.wix.com/home

Good Luck!

I can empathize with your plight.  I am in the same boat. I raised my 5 hens from chicks and have had them for over a year in an attractive, contained coop/run.  I have taken great pains to keep it immaculate--decorate it for the Holidays and clean out the droppings from coop and run DAILY, composting them in an odor-filtered compoost barrel.
Last December, I received a notice of violation from the town, and was told that a neighbor (who has remained anonymous) complained.
However, after a good conversation, my town zoning officer, etc. seemed to understand that there were far more important issues to be delt with, and I was allowed to keep the hens until further notice...I have no doubt that the issue was put aside completely, until I received another notice about the chickens (and high grass!) a week ago.  The neighbor will not let up, and must have waited for the one day our grass got a little high (it had rained for a week), and called the town right away.
At least you know which neighbor it is.  I can only assume. I wonder if it's the neighbor who has multiple unregistered vehicles parked in the street; the neighbor who has 6 yappy dogs that bark and howl evey night at 11pm (I can hear them in my house, halfway down the block, even though they are inside!); the neighbor who leaves their cat out 24/7; the neighbor who leaves out food for feral cats; the neighbors with dogs that bark nonstop whenever they are allowed outside--even when there is nothing to bark at...

I'm waiting things out again with fingers crossed, but I have found some good information online to help plead the case when/if I need to. You might want to start an online petition and/or create a website.  I came across this person's--she's in Mantua NJ, going through the same struggle. She has a lot of good info.: http://hens4mantua.wix.com/home

Good Luck!

Where are you, if you don't mind me asking...and what's the law there?a

Back
Top Bottom