Fighting my newly starting Homeowners Association

Quote:
That's kinda along the lines I was thinking. Who knows, maybe it'll state that she's grandfathered in or exempt.
idunno.gif

Our property actually has a HOA, we were the first to build. There are five lots here and only four houses, none of us really care about the by-laws.

But off to my point. If I were a homeowner and got a bill like that due the next week I would be awful upset. I think most of the property owners will take your side and agree that less is more.

Like you are all supposed to just pull that money out your a--, um off your money tree out back and hand it over.
smack.gif

Nobody is grandfathered in anything. It was written before all these houses were built and then buried in paperwork. We only need about 50 more signitures and I am sure that we will get them. But in the mean time, the board and others have tried being complete butts to me!
roll.png
I have a landlord coming over today to sign. It's raining today and tomorrow so I will hit the streets on Wednesday-Sunday again. Now I walk with a partner as well.
Lov
Liv

Uggh! I feel your pain. I have mentioned in earlier posts that a main reason why we sold our house a couple of years ago in a "neighborhood with that down-home country feeling" (that's how the property was marketed...I'm not kidding) had to do with a gratuitous HOA board and tight covenants and restrictions. A chicken or two on 3 acres - no way, but, get this, we couldn't even have a garden. Thinking that I could sneak in a few tomato plants in the backyard got us into some hot water after a neighbor tattled on us... Adults acting like children. Unbelievable? Well, believe it.

I have absolutely no idea why people are attracted to live in HOA communities. When we began the search for a new place to live, the Realtor was all about trying to sell us a house in another icky development with a "well-run" HOA...even after we talked about why we wanted to move in the first place. We finally moved to Montana and bought a place with no covenants and restrictions and NO HOA!

I have several embarrassing non-poultry related stories about our former HOA board that I may share at another time if/when the need arises.

So much for freedom under your own domain in the United States.

Last edited:
I've seen these type of problems many times, relating to outside antennas for Amateur Radio. Even though Federal law states that local governments and zoning boards must make reasonable accommodations for Amateur Radio antennas, the courts state that HOA's are exempt from this rule since it is a private agreement.

Basically, you have to get the rules changed (as you are rightly trying to do), or you're sunk. HOA's are generally run by small minded, power hungry people, (kinda like most politicians now that I think about it).

I wish you success. Please keep us updated on your progress.

I have now been added to the extra patrol list for my small town. It might help for future vandalism.
Thanks
Lov
Liv

We had a hidden HOA when we bought. It had never been enforced. We wouldn't of even been able to get financing if the mortgage company had known.Somebody challenged it a few years ago with bringing in 2 mobile homes. The people that wanted to enforce it at that time were told that the HOA would have to hire an attorney to enforce it in civil court. I think thats the only way they can get the fines paid. I also think that the majority of the homeowners have to vote in the people that run the HOA. Thank GOD ours expired and they couldn't get enough votes to enact another one.

Sneaky sneaky people. I knew someone who lived in a very exclusive gated neighborhood, and they got reported for something. I think it had to do with scrubs or something. Anyway, he went to the board and yelled every week until they left him alone. >> Same neighborhood wouldn't allow you to have a trampoline, or a fence. Good for you for doing it the "right" way!

Not only do I live in a H O A, I work for one. The one I live in has 25 members, no more room for any more houses. That is unless they figure out how to bould on the cayon wall. Are dues are divided up between us if we need some work done we can't do. Everyone here is some form of contractor or another. And we all have animals os some sort. It will be that way until the end of time.

Now the one I work for is in town, which is another story. Those poor people can't even poo without asking permission. There is NO dogs or cats let alone a chicken. (Every once in awhile I take a roo there and let it go for a day or two).
idunno.gif
They can't even pick out a color for their unit. Some of the new comers have figured out how to get a dog, this takes a dotors perscription. If they want a lawn chair, it has to be of a certain make and color. To make it all the worst, a H O A CAN and WILL move you out if you DO NOT follow the rules and pay your dues. One eldery lady could not pay the dues after they raised them and she lost her house of 35 years. Be very careful of how you handle this.
It could cost you. It is a practrice of the real estate people to misinform the new buyers of the rules. After they have moved in, it is to late.
If it is in the courthouse, you are out of luck.

Back
Top Bottom