fighting raccoons

fish, eh? That brings me to another question:

What is the best bait for the raccoon? We caught and dispatched two already, but I know there are more and they seem to have gotten wise to the trap. I've baited with bread, raw liver and cooked liver and nothing has gone in. But fish you say?

I would love to hear what everyone's most successful bait is.
Dog food works as well.

I originally used a tin of anchovies, but the skunks like fish too. Then I got a box of cheap cat food (only cause the dog food was too fancy at my local market, heh) - raccoons love it. Also doesn't leave YOU smelling fishy.

fish, eh? That brings me to another question:

What is the best bait for the raccoon? We caught and dispatched two already, but I know there are more and they seem to have gotten wise to the trap. I've baited with bread, raw liver and cooked liver and nothing has gone in. But fish you say?

I would love to hear what everyone's most successful bait is.

If they see others getting caught, they may become trap shy. Wire the trap open for a bit, let them get in there and get the bait for a few days.

Once they are hitting regularly again, unwire the trap, set it like usual...you should have another catch by the next morning.

I was making catches at a set this one time. Then suddenly nothing. But there was still sign...so I knew they were still around. I usually wire the trap open at that point and just let 'em have the bait. After a week I re-set the trap.

Next day...50 lb raccoon greeted me. I was kind of shocked, he barely fit into the trap. This is when I quit using Havhart Traps. I had a raccoon force his way out of two Havhart Traps. I had to throw those traps away, every animal after that was able to get out.

I really think it was that 50lb raccoon that forced his way out of my set. At any rate I switched to the cage traps that I use now...never lost another catch. If the trap fires, there's always a catch in it the next day.

If they see others getting caught, they may become trap shy. Wire the trap open for a bit, let them get in there and get the bait for a few days.

Once they are hitting regularly again, unwire the trap, set it like usual...you should have another catch by the next morning.

I was making catches at a set this one time. Then suddenly nothing. But there was still sign...so I knew they were still around. I usually wire the trap open at that point and just let 'em have the bait. After a week I re-set the trap.

Next day...50 lb raccoon greeted me. I was kind of shocked, he barely fit into the trap. This is when I quit using Havhart Traps. I had a raccoon force his way out of two Havhart Traps. I had to throw those traps away, every animal after that was able to get out.

I really think it was that 50lb raccoon that forced his way out of my set. At any rate I switched to the cage traps that I use now...never lost another catch. If the trap fires, there's always a catch in it the next day.

What kind of trap is that in your picture? If I get one Id like to make sure its a good sturdy one!

I ordered all my cage traps years ago from a guy called, Trapper Art's. But I think someone else has bought out his business...shame, Art was a great guy to do business with. I wanted a couple cage traps. He sent me two different models. After trying both for a season, I sent one back and bought all he had of the other...it's the one that I still use to this day. It realy is a great trap.

The closest thing I could find are these:

http://www.duketraps.com/cage/cage.html

Get the heavy duty ones at the bottom of the page.

30" x 12" x 12" is the size I use. I think I have 15 of them now. I have a couple 36" x 13" x 13", those are hard to find anymore, those are the ones I started out with, I have 10 or so of them. Again a great trap.

Duke makes a good product. Bridger is another good brand, but I don't know if they still make cage traps.

If you are good at welding and fabrication, order one in and copy copy copy....

When I get into a lot of raccoon, they seem to be family units, all traveling together. They are creatures of habit, and they actually make roads as they go about their nightly routines.

When I find that I'm dealing with a lot of raccoons...just gang set. Setup four or five locations along their travel routes. If you are using cage traps, wire them open and bait them for a couple nights....once they are hitting every night you know that they are racing each other to get to the free food. Then unwire and set the traps, and they should all be full for the next couple nights. I had one place where all the sets were within a 20 ft line right along their trail...by the end of a week, I had 15 raccoons, then nothing. A month later, I got another call, and pulled out 5 more.

Once there are no more catches for a few nights, check very carefully for sign. If there is no fresh sign..then your job is done.

Last edited:
Thank you, it helps to know I'm not alone in going through this. Do you know when forsythia will stop calling for Daisy? I haven't eaten all day, whenever she starts calling it rips my heart out.

Thank you, it helps to know I'm not alone in going through this. Do you know when forsythia will stop calling for Daisy? I haven't eaten all day, whenever she starts calling it rips my heart out.

I'm guessing Forsythia and Daisy are chickens?

Chickens are social creatures, they thrive in the company of other chickens. If Forsythia is alone right now, she is going to need another Daisy, or two, before she is happy.

I hope that helps....

I've had good luck with the Havahart traps, and have a larger one for those big raccoons. I've never used marshmallows as bait, but some folks on this site claim that they work great, and no cat would care. I shoot any 'varmit' that I trap; no relocation! Predator proofing the coop and run is essential. Mary

Back
Top Bottom