fighting raccoons

Just thought I'd share this image. It was included in an advertisement for a chicken tractor on Craigslist in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. A person definitelys want a fool-proof setup in this environment!!! Advertisement is/was at: http://tuscaloosa.craigslist.org/grd/5644405857.html
My goodness...I see 6 raccoons in that image. That is amazing, and a wonderful advetisement for those chicken tractors...wow.

My coop is 4 feet off the ground. I looked up how high a raccoon can reach standing on it's hind legs and reaching it's hands above its head, I don't remember the exact number now but it was around 3 feet. Now if only my chickens would consistently use the new coops!!! But so far so good, no more chickens taken in over 3 weeks now. Making progress.

Thank you so much! Great suggestions! I appreciate your feedback regarding the fence line, it makes perfect sense. I feel better having input, helps me to know I'm on the right track. No nibbles yet, I'll be sure and keep you posted! :highfive:

Yes, vigilance is the key. I think the predators know when we let our guards down. Thank you for your kind support, I so appreciate it.
BTW - Love the quotes attached to your posts - Ceaser, Einstein & Twain - Excellent!

My coop is protected by wood and hardware cloth on all sides (including the bottom) and has an automatic door with a light sensor so it doesn't need any adjustment. The automatic door might sound like a pain, but it really was pretty simple and cost less than $100 to make. It's important to use a decent linear actuator with brackets (about $60 online, don't use a power antenna, even if it's strong enough to close the door it won't hold it shut against a raccoon).

The automatic door really is my key to success (I've seen more than a few obese raccoons trying to get in after dark before giving up and stealing the neighbor's cat food). Currently it runs off house power and a DC adapter, but I'm planning to install a solar panel and car battery soon, which would honestly be easier than dealing with house power and converters.

When I was a kid though, my parents would surround whatever the raccoons were trying to get into with 15-20 unbated mousetraps and pick them back up in the morning before any of our animals were awake (very important, a mousetrap could break a chicken's feet). Our cats always stepped around them if they hunted at night, but the raccoons were clumsy and would usually set off all the traps at once. When they did that, we wouldn't see them again for a couple years. Raccoons are smart enough to learn their lesson for at least a little while. I'm not sure how humane or safe this technique is though
hmm.png

We were woken up at 4 AM by a horrible screaming 3 nights ago. Ran outside and found the 4 Y/O hen that had been missing for nearly two weeks and heard noise in the tree. Put the hen in the integration coop (converted stall) that is next to the predator "proof" converted stall. Went back with a flashlight and saw a coon up the tree. Went back and disconnected the light sensor controlled door since it doesn't close until it is really dark out well after the hens have gone inside and opens at first light when coons would typically still be hunting. Found the hen's nest in the plants near the little barn in the morning. We have no rooster and she had never been broody before. The other girls that go broody do it in the nest boxes in the coop. I left her in the integration coop because it would be hard to keep her from running out of the coop with the other girls and heading back outside. She needed to cool off and get unbroody.

We have a bunch of !@#$% woodchucks and they have been running tunnels under the barn alley and a few days ago popped 3 holes through the dirt floor. Does no good to fill in the tunnels, they just dig it back out or make another one.

I've been setting the Havahart for the chucks, have taken 2 juveniles to the property line 1,500' from the barn, open land and Interstate behind it. Don't know if or how soon they will return.

Found the decapitated hen in the integration coop this morning, coon clearly came through the woodchuck tunnels. The integration coop is not predator safe, there is space above the door and between the joists for the floor above.

Lower in the pecking order hens are clearly taking a beating since the girls are all trapped in the coop before dark and after dawn.

Going to get a game cam and will set the trap for coon in the barn alley. Not sure how to fasten it done though. Also need to get a gun to kill the !@#$%.

Back
Top Bottom