fighting raccoons

Had a raccoon in the fencing a few weeks ago when going out late one night to close up the coop. Watched it run to and crawl right under the electric netting. Locked up the coop and broke out the multi meter next morning. Sure enough, the old marine battery was no longer holding a charge. Took two extension cords and 10 minutes to change over the fence charger to AC. No more raccoons in the pen.

A fence charger can be had for less than the cost of a high quality trial camera. Never understood how pictures of wildlife is a good defense.

A fence charger can be had for less than the cost of a high quality trial camera. Never understood how pictures of wildlife is a good defense. 

That's easy...I know this one...

A rat is not a weasel, is not a mink, is not a possum, is not skunk, is not badger, is not a fox, is not a coyote.

To defeat a predator it helps greatly to know which predator...general solutions will solve most problems, but not all problems.

Last edited:
If an electric fence will stop all predators excepting raptors and weasel then why spend the money on a camera that would purchase a fence charger and eliminate 99% of the possible culprits? That's my point. A raccoon is not a dog is not a neighbors cat is not a fox is not a coyote but they all are stopped with the same defense of electric.

I suppose it's the same reasoning on how a person needs a smart phone to find a good job when the same money could be put on a beater car to get to any job. It's all on how you look at things. The car being the fence here and what will do the job and the camera taking pictures is your smart phone that don't do much work.

Quote:
Why? They have multiple tunnels, always plenty of escape routes. Even if they abandon that tunnel until the CO2 is replaced with "ambient" air, they would still be around.

Interestingly, they have not reopened the tunnels into the barn alley as yet. Only thing I saw on the game cam was a rat. I don't know if the chuck that was in the trap yesterday morning got there before or after the coon killed my hen. I'm really hoping that coon was a loner, 're-homed' by some AH. Probably a naive thought.

Electric fences won't stop a woodchuck, not when it is travelling underground. And it won't stop a coon travelling the same path.

A game camera will indeed identify the predators so that you might be more precise in your attempts to repel their attacks.

But, if I had to choose between and electric fence or a game camera the electric fence would get my money first. My thought is that I would rather see pictures from a game camera of my chickens boringly scratching in the hen yard behind an electric fence rather than catch images of a raccoon killing several chickens behind a non-electrified fence.

For a little bit more than a good game camera you can have a fence charger with wire that'll have enough juice to knock a coyote on it's tail and send it running.

Ed

Yes, the only things I've set my game camera up for has been armadillos and 2-legged varmits.

NOTE!!! Game cameras are something that can get set to the side for a while. Be sure and remove the batteries when not actively using it. Ask me how I know. On second thought, don't ask.
he.gif

If you or your neighbors do dumb things like feed coons, leave dog or cat food out, or put food scraps in a compost pile, then you can expect to enjoy a raccoon population as healthy as the one in the following video.

0.jpg

The raccoon population in North America is larger today than at any time in the natural history of the Earth.

Don't trap and release these vermin, it is illegal to trap, transport, and release raccoons anywhere except in the location in which the raccoon was captured. As the video proves the raccoon population is doing quite well thank you without any outside help.

Back
Top Bottom