Fighting?

Hay

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Ok, since the big blizzard 2 days ago, my mom, sister and me took 3 of our favorite pullets from their cage to make diapers for them. We were planning to keep them as housepets, but can't have roos, so we left Audrey, our rooster, alone in the cage, since we didn't need to make diapers for him.

We played with them for a few hours after making their diapers, but we finally put them back to the cage because the diapers got dirty very quickly(the EE pullet is notorious for pooping).

I first put in Misty, the EE, but then, Audrey clamped his beak onto Misty's neck, and Misty screamed. Now I put in the other 2, hoping Audrey wouldn't attack them too.

Today, when I came back from school, they were all eating. As Misty and Audrey were eating, Audrey suddenly clamped his beak onto Misty's neck again, but holding on longer than the last time. Misty screamed until I pushed Audrey a bit.

So, I have no idea what's going on. They were so peaceful before, but maybe it was the pullet's long absence that made Audrey do this?

(Audrey is named audrey because we thought he was a girl before until he showed signs of being a rooster)

But the diapers weren't on when I put them back. Did he really forget who they were in just s few hours?

Last edited:
Based on the fact that young roosters tend to be aggressive when trying to claim hens, I'd have to agree. He isn't necessarily fighting, he's just trying to tell Misty who's boss, because he may have made advances in the past and she may have rejected him. If that didn't happen, I would still put my money on the fact that he is growing to be a big boy and wants the hen's loyalty. It's very common, I actually have a boy who's doing the same things right now. My hens are starting to recognize what exactly he wants, and he in turn is becoming more gentle.

I think regardless of whether you kept them together or kept them away for a few hours, he still would have started claiming them. A few hours without other cause should not cause fighting. If you said they were kept seperate for a few days, however, that's another story.

Back
Top Bottom