Figuring out offspring results

kada6305

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Kersey, Pennsylvania
I am learning about breeding. I currently have eggs in the incubator and trying to figure out what I would get but have no clue what to put in for the genes.

I have Speckled Sussex- which I know they will come out pure
SS rooster over a red sexlink hen
SS rooster over a White leghorn hen.

What do I put in to figure out the outcome?

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

I can't always figure the calculator either, but I can give you some ideas.

The speckling is recessive, so your mixed chicks won't show it. The rsl hen's chicks will likely be some shade of red. The Leghorn's chicks will likely be mostly white, as the dominant white masks other colors. Those babies may get some pretty dark leakage as they age from the mahogany (is that what SS are?).

Glad it just isn't me then! I believe the Sussex have three different colors but mahogany is one. It'll be interesting to see what they throw out, thats for sure! These will be for my own use of meat/eggs so It really doesn't matter. But I want to breed silkies in the future (just purchased eggs today) and need to learn the color genetics on that.

I have a Lavender Orpington Rooster. I have 10 hens, 3 Lavender Orps, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Olive Egger, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Australorp, 1 Chantecler, 1 Buckeye, 1 Dominque. I am curious as to what to expect for offspring, as well as how many hens will be broody, and how many baby roosters will there be.

Back
Top Bottom