Fill gravity waterer from the top???

dataman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
Ok, so we made the famous bucket with holes sitting in a large flower pot saucer waterer. The lid forms an airtight seal so all is well. Since we didn't want to hoist 5 gallons of water to fill and flip, I plumbed a valve on top for the hose to connect to, for filling. There's also a ball valve to close to maintain vacuum when not filling. However, when filling, so much water just flows freely from the bottom, there must be a better way. How do others do it? I wonder if I need a small valve on top to open for air to escape while filling.
By the way, this is temporary until I get the 55 gallon drum in place to feed the device. Then I'll simply top off the drum weekly or something.

That's exactly what you need so that air can escape. That should solve your problem. I use a 5 gallon bucket as permanent solution since I only have three chickens. That is a great idea to hook up a valve, I'll have to adjust mine.

anyone have some pics for us visual learners? this sounds like just what we need

Ok, I found a valve in my pvc junk. It has a large disc, about 3 inches in diameter covered with 'gauze' and the other side of the disc has a short threaded stem. You can blow through the stem and feel air rushing out the 'gauze', but try to suck and you get nothing. It''s a one-way flow. (Made for water to drain out and not suck back in.) I drilled a hole in the bucket lid and wrapped teflon tape around the threads, then screwed the valve all the way in. Now, when filling the bucket you can actually hear air whooshing out of the valve. When done you shut the ball valve on the fill line, and a vacuum is formed. I'll try to snap some photos tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ok, here's a photo.
The key is the ball valve, which is opened to allow water to flow if from hose, then closed to re-establish vacuum in bucket.

67289_cluc.jpg

Quote:
do a single hole at the bottom for water level Make it small enough to put a cork in it. Then a single hole at top for a cork. then plumb the top to your water source. Cork the bottom for filling leave the top hole open for vent. Cork the top for vacuum remove the cork from the bottom to fill the tray.

Best one i have seen though is a 5 gallon bucket with three inch diameter holes done at drinking level then an automatic float screwed to the lid with a spacer to put the fill line below the chicken access ports. plumb through the top with a short hose. Then you can do a dedicated hose to a y splitter on your fawcet run at low low pressure like a trickle. The drinking ports keep the water reasonably clean and the inside of the bucket as well.

Oh dang rather than describe it.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=48214-autofill-bucket-waterer

This
one would run directly off your 55 gallon water drum. You could also put one of those float valves in your 55 gallon drum and set it in a convenient location and keep it filled with a hose from the house.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom