Filling the incubator 6-3-2011 Join me for my 1st attempt?

Quote:
hugs.gif

this might sound silly but have you considered leaving in the turner in and just unplugging it? From what I understand the biggest danger is from the chicks getting crushed by the motor.

I've also seen people use egg cartons with dowels that they just rock back and forth....

Quote:
hugs.gif

this might sound silly but have you considered leaving in the turner in and just unplugging it? From what I understand the biggest danger is from the chicks getting crushed by the motor.

I've also seen people use egg cartons with dowels that they just rock back and forth....

I was worried that when they hatched out their legs would get caught in between the trays or worse they would burn themselves on the heating element. I'm just going back to hand turning. I had 25/28 hatch when I was doing that

I have a Hovabator 1602n for whomever asked

If it's any consolation, I've had the same problem with temperature drops, and I'm using a Brower Top Hatch that has a built-in turner. So I'm not taking anything out, and not turning off a motor, just disengaging the interlock between the turner and the basket . . . and still having lots of chicks die in the shell right before pip. That darned thing must have a faulty thermostat. Last hatch we had 20 eggs looking good at the day 17 candling, but only 10 of them hatched. And that was a significant improvement over the hatch before! <sigh> Steep learning curve.

what about picking up a second incubator to use just for hatching out your chicks in that way when the eggs come out of your turner they go into the hatcher seems to me the way im going to try my next hatch anyways also would make it lots better to run staggered hatches also

Quote:
That's a great idea and I have been looking for a second incubator. I'm hoping to find one on CL or something. The one I have was free. Really don't have the money to spend but guess in the long term it would save me money I'm losing on eggs and chicks
sad.png

Quote:
That's a great idea and I have been looking for a second incubator. I'm hoping to find one on CL or something. The one I have was free. Really don't have the money to spend but guess in the long term it would save me money I'm losing on eggs and chicks
sad.png

well ive got a lg that i got from tractor supply for 45.99 its a still air that im useing for a hatcher and my other one with the egg turner is the same thing but i did put a pc fan in it to help with the heat to keep it even i just got my one for hatching cause i only got 4 chicks to hatch out from this last hatching we just finished doing
1 more thing whos going to be in for a december fill up so we can get the chicks to hatch out on newyears day or new years eve this year im going to have some bcm and cuckoo marans eggs to set then

Quote:
sad.png

well ive got a lg that i got from tractor supply for 45.99 its a still air that im useing for a hatcher and my other one with the egg turner is the same thing but i did put a pc fan in it to help with the heat to keep it even i just got my one for hatching cause i only got 4 chicks to hatch out from this last hatching we just finished doing
1 more thing whos going to be in for a december fill up so we can get the chicks to hatch out on newyears day or new years eve this year im going to have some bcm and cuckoo marans eggs to set then

That would be so cool but it would be so hard to keep the chicks warm outside up here in New England. January is our coldest month so they would have to live in the house and I think my husband would be very mad at me lol.

Quote:

That would be so cool but it would be so hard to keep the chicks warm outside up here in New England. January is our coldest month so they would have to live in the house and I think my husband would be very mad at me lol.

I would be up for that but I would have to keep them in the house for about 3 months for it is a bit to cold outside till about the 3 or 4 month of the year around here. As it is I keep them in the house till they are 2 months old now that I have the ones that are getting out that are 6 weeks old.

well im in central maine so iys just as cold for me to but i keep my chicks inside for 2 months myself so that would put it the first of march they would be moveing into there coop by then our sub zero temps are normaly done but its still cold but i think they would be fine

Back
Top Bottom