Filling the incubator 6-3-2011 Join me for my 1st attempt?

minorcaout.jpg

He's here!!!
big_smile.png
celebrate.gif
And there's another pip!

Quote:
Ugh that long seriously!!!? Ugh idk if my heart can take much more lol so I should let them sit? What's the max number of days I leave them in there? I def don't want any to explode if they happen to have been infertile

They'll only explode if they're infected with bacteria from what I understand. You can usually see the first albumen layer seeping out and they smell.

O ok well luckily I don't have either of those symptoms going on so maybe I just got a lazy batch. My temps have pretty much stable accept for maybe to hiccups but im pretty sure I fixed them within an hours time. I guess ill just be patient for now...it sure is tough thoguh

well, only 3 of my 12 chicks made it to lockdown. i think the 2 power outages were probably to blame. ducks go into lockdown on sunday...only 2 i know are sort of ducky & one that is most likely not progressing, i just don't have the heart to give up yet.
i thought i saw some shaking in one of the chicken eggs yesterday (my 11 year old agreed) but so far, no pips. been in lockdown for 2 days... they are so dark i can't see anything... just going to give them til sunday & hope...
i think all you folks hatching a whole bunch are brave. i found a place - california hatchery, anyone used them? - that will ship small #s of ducks & chicks & if this doesn't work i think i'll go with them. i am to weak spirited for this incubation stuff.
i love seeing all your successes. such cute, little fluffers.

Quote:
It looks very much like a black copper marans chick to me. If it's from a hatchery it may just be "lower" quality egg color as hatcheries breed for quantity not quality. It doesn't have feathered shanks but not all do. You only really want to worry about those standards if you're going to show them.

Here's a pic of two of my BCM chicks that just hatched
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0223631544472_766099471_7168591_1486223_n.jpg

One on it's own
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0223887989472_766099471_7172009_4279259_n.jpg

your mystery chick looks like my Jersey Giant babies, seriously...love that shot with the tiny wings a flappin'

Quote:
What kind of ducks? Muscovies take 35 ish days

Cayugas
sad.png
I candled them a day before lockdown and they were huge and moving but now it looks like they aren't gunna hatch
hit.gif

Quote:
What kind of ducks? Muscovies take 35 ish days

Cayugas
sad.png
I candled them a day before lockdown and they were huge and moving but now it looks like they aren't gunna hatch
hit.gif

I'm sorry
sad.png
. Chin up!! I found this as I know nothing about cayugas.

"The Cayuga duck will more often sit on and hatch her eggs than other domestic breeds of duck.

The average incubation period is 28 days. When using an incubator the temperature should be 99.5 °F at 86% humidity for days 1-25, and 98.5 °F at 94% humidity for days 26-28."

Everything to those specifications?

Back
Top Bottom