Filthy bobcat attacks flock!

Let's see how you handle this when it's your chickens being eaten. I love my chickens and I have raised them from little ones and still have some babies..and I would not let anything hurt them. I moved once because where I was they said I couldn't keep my chickens..

Well, I just got off the phone with the wildlife warden in my county. He says we have two options. I can be issued a permit to kill the bobcat if it comes back and threatens my livestock again. Or, this I like better, he can bring out a live trap and if he gets it, relocate it somewhere else where there are no people and chickens to threaten.

It concerns me that this cat showed no fear of humans. It concerns the warden, also. It's a shame, but when wild animals become used to being around humans, they become far more of a danger than before they set eyes on a human.

this is so true re: the danger part. It's fine if you want it relocated, but then down the road if it truly is not afraid of humans, it could cause harm to a camper or a small child. I'm just saying the actions we take not only affect ourselves.

Be very careful. In March of last year, a rabid bobcat invaded the Chapparal Bar in Cottonwood, Arizona and cleaned the place out. Two people were bitten and ended up having to take the shots.

Take the animal out with the shotgun before it gets you or your livestock.

Rufus

The game warden just left my place after discussing options with me. I'm completely within the law to shoot the bobcat that is destroying my "livestock", but I choose to try a live trap first. Where I live, I'm surrounded by wilderness where there aren't people for hundreds of miles. There's only a very slim chance the cat will be dumb enough to get himself caught, though. I've tried live-trapping feral cats before, and they seldom fall for the bait in a trap. Bobcats are probably a lot smarter.

If it gets itself trapped, the game warden can release it somewhere far from people. But the odds are indicating I'll be required to shoot it. I've shot wild animals before, but it always leaves me with tremendous guilt and a deep sense of loss. It's strictly the last resort.

I was thinking how lucky I was that it was a wildcat that got into the pen. They usually select one chicken, eat it and go sleep it off. I'd be in far worse danger in the city from neighborhood dogs who get into a pen and don't quit until they're killed every last chicken.

Either way, this is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. There's tragedy at both ends with me standing right in the middle.

It's not your fault. If the bobcat is that bold, then it shouldn't be around humans. Since it killed one of your chickens, if it's baited with chicken, then there's a good chance it will be caught. I hope the warden checks to make sure it's not lactating when he moves it, in case there are little ones that need capturing as well.

Please don't feel guilty if you have to kill it or it's taken away. You didn't ask it to come attack your pets, and you were more than fair in giving it chances to leave without being caught, injured or killed. The fact that you called to see what your options were shows your good intentions.

Good luck.

Hi Peggy here. I'm in the same boat. I've lost quite a few birds to bobcats here in NY. But you can't shoot them in my county yet!!!! We've had quite a few sitings. Maybe they'll start a drawing here in Tioga County!!!!!!!
hmm.png

Quote:
If you use a fairly large trap Bobcats are easy to catch with cage traps trap needs to be aprox 15-18 " wide 18-24" tall 36-48 "deep like someone else said the best bait is what they have already killed / eaten. Depending on where I catch them and who I am working for I harvest the toms and turn the kittens and wet females loose.

Quote:
That is a great perspective. You can spend half your life trying to kill everything in the wilds that may threaten your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom