Final check before I sell him/her: Roo or Pullet?

Here are pics of my other growing chicks, all 2 1/2 weeks:

From the left: Blue/Black Splash Orpington, Lavender Orpington, Buff Americanas (2)

Here is a better picture of their feather development from the side. All of these were confirmed female by the feather test at 2 and 3 days, and have continued to develop as pullets should.

Again, akward teenager stage of feather development on my buffs in full view here. My lavender is so photogenic!

Your chicks are beautiful! I could use some support. Tonight I stepped on and severely injured Mia my single chick that survived my first attempt at hatching. We had to put her down because if her injury. She followed me around, and I know she thought I was her mom. I feel horrible. Now I'll never know if she was a pullet or roo.

This is so painful. Most people would think I was nuts to cry over a chick..but I was very attached to her .

I'm so so sorry. I know that it is tough. I had to cull one too. He/she was born with a hole in her back, something like spina bifida. She had some foot deformities, but I read about special splints on the internet, and they seemed to be working. Then, after we seemed like we'd come so far, she seemed unable to get to her feet. After some more examination, she seemed to have internal deformities as well, and the whole in her back was not healing. I was still holding out hope (foolishly, I might add), when a male chick picked on her and hurt her eye. That was the last straw for me, as the chick was then clearly suffering. I used the baking soda and vinegar method, and after a few peeps, she stopped moving. I could see her, and it was like she fell asleep (the peeping seemed to be less from pain and more from alarm at the foam from the mixture). She stopped breathing after a minute and I removed the lid. The whole experience was difficult, but I know that it was for the best.
Again, I am so sorry for your loss. A quick word about my hatch: I attribute my success with hatching (all 11 that I incubated) to picking up eggs directly from a farmer and taking them out from under the hens. The breeder was excellent, always with a clutch on the way, and had tons of information about which birds were the most dependable, the most prolific, and I was able to chose eggs with good shapes, color, non-porous, etc. I hope that that helps for your next go. Good luck!

Your chicks are beautiful! I could use some support. Tonight I stepped on and severely injured Mia my single chick that survived my first attempt at hatching. We had to put her down because if her injury. She followed me around, and I know she thought I was her mom. I feel horrible. Now I'll never know if she was a pullet or roo.

This is so painful. Most people would think I was nuts to cry over a chick..but I was very attached to her .
I understand. When my little silkie died I sobbed for hours. In fact, I will never attempt to incubate again. Hugs to you tslaven.

Yeah, for anyone else looking at this, that Marans is a roo, especially if it has wattles coming in.
I'm sure the op has moved on, but people look and wonder sometimes :).

Thanks for your input everyone! FYI for further study, here is a picture of my bird's parents. Notice the prominent combs and waddles on both the Roos and Hens. Saddle feathers should be a dead giveaway when they come in, so I will come back and update if there are any sure signs. Right now, at 3 1/2 weeks, color is still all black with very light copper hints on a few of the adult feathers. Most adult feathers are black and rounded on the tips (but still too early to tell). I

Could you put updated pictures of the chick on please? I would like to compare it to mine. I am crossing everything I have at least one pullet, or my hatch will have resulted in zero for my flock
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom