Final check before I sell him/her: Roo or Pullet?

thecaped

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 21, 2013
What do you guys think?
The one on the left is the one I've pegged as a Roo since birth, a blue/black splash Orpington.
The one on the right I thought was a Pullet, a black/copper Maran, until she/he developed a larger cockerel than my other females. Upon closer inspection, these guys both have two distinct lines of baggy skin that run underneath their beaks on both sides, while all of my others have no bagginess there.
The urgency in my finding out is that I am in the process of selling the one male, and will sell both if you guys also think that my Maran is also a roo. However, this was my only Maran to hatch, and I would really like to keep her if she's a she!
Thanks for your help!

Here's another view of my bird in question.

Cute pic of my other male for comparison.

Another note: What made me even more suspicious was the behavior of these two when out of the brooder. They confont each other often, and fly at one another with their feet raised (as Cocks do in a fight). Does this def mean that they are both male, or would a female act this way to establish pecking order as well?

Another note: What made me even more suspicious was the behavior of these two when out of the brooder. They confont each other often, and fly at one another with their feet raised (as Cocks do in a fight). Does this def mean that they are both male, or would a female act this way to establish pecking order as well?

I have no advice on gender but all six of my girls do this (^) every now and then. They never actually make body contact but they will come close to each other. They fluff out their neck feathers too

Last edited:
That is very helpful to know! It is possible that my Maran is competing because she is one of the larger of the chicks that are female. I hope that this is not just wishful thinking, but based on what everyone thinks, I might hang on to the Maran, just in case, as a Roo won't be disturbing my neighbors with loud crowing for a while yet :)

I have no idea, but I am interested as I have 2 maran type chicks. How old are these? They look similar in age to mine, who are 2 and a bit weeks.

They are 2 weeks, 3 days. Looks like we are hatching buddies :) I'll try and post pics of my 5 others in a bit.

Last edited:
I thought they were the same age. Mine are 2 weeks 4 days.

The person I got the eggs from said my two are pullets. He looked at pictures when they were a day or 2 old, and went by their comb, or lack of it. They don`t look much different than your little one, so I would hang onto it, and hope the man who said mine are girls is right!

The BBS Orp is definitely a cockerel. The Maran has a large comb, but not much color. Maybe hang on to it, I think you will be able to tell by the feathers, pretty soon. And you will definitely be able to tell before it starts to annoy your neighbors. Listen for practice crows. Good luck.

My chicks all do this too, I think they are just playing

Back
Top Bottom