FINALLY A HATCH!!! Update: Will she make it???? HELP!! Please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jay1995, Mar 16, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Well I decided to place eggs under my hen and she sat on them for about a week and stoped. So I took them and put them in my bator, and I candled them didnt see anything. So my hatch was due Firday the 13th. Well nothing on Friday or Saturday. So we egt up and get ready to go to Kennedy Space Center for the launch and dont get home till about 10:45. And I go back not expecting anything, and there were my two eggs due on Friday with big cracks. They looked like they had been working for about 30 min. So I sat down next to the bator and kept seeing a beak poke out of the egg, and about 45 min. later the chick was out. She was totally zipped at 1:00 AM. Then 45 min later the other one was out. They moved very quick with zipping. I will have pics soon. Thanks, -Jay

UPDATE: I examined one of the chicks and saw that its feathers were stuck all around its butt so it couldnt poop. So I grabbed a damp wrag and warm water and wet it a bit and grazed the feathers. Well her little booty is all okay and good for pooing, so I put her down and immediatly came out a long wet mucisy stream that looked like it had yolk in it. I put her back in the bator to drie off, and she tried scrathing her back at one side and kept falling over, and when she walked she fell to this one side. But then 5 seconds later she was walking around perfectly fine climbing on the other eggs. Will she be okay and live? Please help me.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Congrats!! They just wanted to wait for the launch! [​IMG] Did you only have two set to hatch? I bet they are cute!!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    YAY!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Glad you got to see the launch, we want to do it someday- soon. Dad lives on Merritt Island, he's seen quite a few.

4. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    They are SO cute. They are buff and one has like a brown stripe on its head. They both have puffy little cheeks like their mom and they got the buff from their Orp daddy.

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

What breeds are they? They sound adorable!!!

6. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    they are little Orpington mixed with (I think) Ameraucana. I am having trouble getting pics on but will hopefully have that solved soon.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Awesome! [​IMG]

8. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    anyone? I really need an answer. Thanks, -Jay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by