Finally! A politician who is......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, now I have to call my congressman to vote against this bill, thanks for bringing it to our attention. Drilling in America IS needed, but is only a temporary fix. Whats gonna happen when the world runs out of oil period?? Scary thought. Bring back the horses and buggies I reckon.

Quote:
That's to produce the oil, get it out of the ground. That's not what the 'oil companies' that people complain about in the US do, they refine the oil that they buy into products like gasoline, jet fuel, engine oil, etc. That is the cost to the OPEC companies that just pump it out of the ground, then they increase the price by limiting the supply. If we could get fully vertical integration in US oil companies the price could go down.

Any new alternative energy is going to take a lot of money to get going. Wind, etc. The thing is, we have that money. It's just going to keep our men and women in a war so that the gov't. can keep control of the oil in other countries. As we all know, that isn't working on any front....(so if you think that voting for Mc100moreyearsinIraqMcCain is going to solve the oil problem, think again).

We can drill to our heart's content here at home, but it's still, at best, a very temporary fix. We don't have the next 70 years to figure out a better way. We need to do that now. Drilling in the U.S. now might bring prices down for awhile, yes--but all that's going to do is distract us from finding the real solution (or at least, a better one).

Quote:
lol.png
Love it!!!
lol.png

Thanks for clearing that up warcard.
big_smile.png
I'll have to find the article that my Dh read so I can understand it more.

Stupid, why should I have to pay for someone else's bad choices? Every time tougher fuel efficiency standards were proposed, car companies, oil companies and others whined, threw tantrums and got their way. Now we are paying for the spoiled children we all raised. Why does Japan have more fuel efficient cars and factories; because they have a good energy policy that includes conserving. They don't regard it as a "personal virtue" and not relevant to government policy like our lawmakers do. This country needs a comprehensive energy policy that includes conservation, research money for sustainable energy, investment in alternative transportation modes (bicycling in particular), as well as investment and refinement of known fuel sources including oil, gas, coal, solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal. Personally, I like the idea of bleeding foreign oil sources dry before using all our own.

The reusable ideas are out there, just takes big money to get it going. Those who hold the money power do not want to let go or do new things. India is now going to build a car powered by compressed air!! The thing is cute and that is about as a renewable engery one can get. And the price tag is very cheap also I think it was @ 13,000.00 way cheaper than a Hybrid. I would need the taxi one thou because I have a x-large family.
big_smile.png
Nuclear Power is not the answer there is waste....what ya gonna do with that? Wind, Sun and Water are great resources and they have always been around and are not going anywhere anytime soon. Until someone makes it affordable to own the old standby will still be the most used. Cut the politians pay into one third and/or the benifits they get and just maybe they will start thinking like a regular American again. Now they do what the funders of thier election want ....sad but true look at Bush and the credit card/bankruptcy issue he voted for them not the American people. Why ? Because who he got the funding from....plain and simple the money that got them to office is the money that tells them what to do...This is not for the American people anymore........sadly it is for Big Corps/Big MOney:(

Crunchie wrote:
.(so if you think that voting for Mc100moreyearsinIraqMcCain is going to solve the oil problem, think again).

So you think that we should get out of Iraq, and quit. Then there will be more terriorist attacks, and up goes the price of fuel.​

Crunchie said:
Any new alternative energy is going to take a lot of money to get going. Wind, etc. The thing is, we have that money. It's just going to keep our men and women in a war so that the gov't. can keep control of the oil in other countries. As we all know, that isn't working on any front....(so if you think that voting for Mc100moreyearsinIraqMcCain is going to solve the oil problem, think again).

We can drill to our heart's content here at home, but it's still, at best, a very temporary fix. We don't have the next 70 years to figure out a better way. We need to do that now. Drilling in the U.S. now might bring prices down for awhile, yes--but all that's going to do is distract us from finding the real solution (or at least, a better one).

Bad idea. How about funding some research for alternatives? Make those more affordable to us average joes? True sustainability and energy independence? Those are ideas I don't mind putting my tax dollars toward. By the way, drilling for "our own oil" is also a hideous idea. It would only buy us myabe 70-ish years of energy "indpendence". And then what? No thanks, I'm not really interested in selling my son's (or any children he might like to have) future so we can stick our fingers in our ears and go "la la la" for the next several decades. It's not "ours", it's our kid's future (and the future of this planet).

We've been a severly short-sighted nation for far too long. Let gas get more expensive. Maybe we'll wake up.

I agree with everything that Crunchie has said!!
cool.png

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Quote:
So you think that we should get out of Iraq, and quit. Then there will be more terriorist attacks, and up goes the price of fuel.

The terrorists that caused 9/11 didn't from Iraq. There's another little war happening. It's called Afghanistan. Where we should really be concentrating our military efforts, perhaps? I've been fighting and arguing for too many years now to get our men and women out of a war that's over oil. Sorry, I don't think any one of us needs cheap gas prices so bad that our friends and family have to die over them.

ETA: I don't mean to sound judgemental or snippy or whatever. It's just a touchy subject for me. I know when it all boils down to it, we're all on the same side.
smile.png

Last edited:
Conservation is the first piece of this puzzle.

The reality is (especially in America, but all over the western world) we've taken the attitude that as long as we have it we should use it. Consume more, spend more, drive more. We want more for less money constantly. We always forget to think of the cost. This is something that goes much farther and deeper than just oil but oil is a perfect example.

More people could bicycle to work, take a bus, a train, even carpool. And these are things we should have been doing when gas was cheap just as much as now when gas is expensive. People should have thought more than 5 minutes ahead when they bought a vehicle that was much larger than they needed or had drastically more power than they needed.

Exploitation and misrepresentation of the American dream and people's emotions are what got us here. "The american dream" was never envisioned to be the excess we take part in now. There needs to be a drastic shift in our thought processes change isn't going to happen from politicians or policy. This country coming out of our economic downturn doesn't happen because of a $600 or whatever value stimulus check that comes in the mail, it's because the people (and companies) make the decision to stop doing what has caused us all of the problems to get here.

We don't need to find ways to make our existing way of life mesh with rising prices. We need to change what we're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom