Finally able to get my Chicken on!

MatildaGrace

Hatching
Oct 10, 2016
Hi Everyone! I have been using this site for about a year now without making an account. I did so much research before even getting my chickens! Here's a lil bit about me:

I live just east of Columbia, SC. I have always wanted chickens but the ex kinda made fun of me. Now that I have my own place, I knew I would have them. I ordered them from Murray McMurray. I got 16 total. The breakdown: 5 buff orpingtons, 5 barred rocks, and 6 black australorps. I got them as newborn chicks. I was so excited! I read all kinda of books and researched online and talked to people. I was prepared! I lost 3 during the first week. I was expecting it so there was no surprise. 13 left! Since it was super warm here and I was late in getting them, I had them outside at about 5 weeks old. Over the course of a couple of weeks, disaster struck and something got into my enclosure and took (yes took without leaving feathers) 5 chickens, leaving one behind with no head. I was left with 7 chicks. I quickly finished my coop and hustled the remaining chicks into it. I got the chicken run finished the week after that. They've been golden until yesterday. A dog was able to get into the coop and killed 3 chickens and one is completely missing. I've been pretty upset. So now I have my 3 chickens left. Ironically, I have one of each left. My buff that has lived was actually attacked when she was a chick. She's a survivor named Grace. Matilda was the other buff that I had left.

I plan on ordering more in the spring so I look forward to the warmer weather to come back :)

Here's are some pics of the chickens. Obviously, they aren't all living lol.

I look forward to reading and contributing!

This is actually the last picture I took of the 7 :( This was the day before it happened. The buff in the front (Grace) was the one attacked. You can see the feather difference between her body and the tail feathers.

Hello, and welcome to BYC! Sorry about your chick loss. Predator-proof your pen and run before you get more. Predator's always return to where they can find an easy meal.
My boyfriend is coming down in a couple of weeks to help me. I am going to electrify the bottom. This isn't happening again :)

Please do check out the predator thread for suggestions and advice. You can also have attacks from the sky (raptors) so electrified fence won't stop them. So sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom