Finally (almost) all done on my first coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fpscabs, Mar 23, 2009.

  1. fpscabs

    fpscabs Out Of The Brooder

    47
    2
    32
    Jan 29, 2009
    Glendora, CA
    The girls are now 5 weeks for four and 6 weeks for one, but needed to get them into their coop. Still need some detail work, but good enough for now.
    [​IMG]

    This is what I started with...
    [​IMG]

    and the ending (almost)
    [​IMG]


    I will go into detail later this week...on my 'ice chest lid' style roof, the piles of sawdust from the routered and ripped strips framing each screen, from the notched door frame stop and more time consuming details
     
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. J&KV

    J&KV Out Of The Brooder

    79
    0
    29
    Apr 30, 2008
    West Georgia
    Thats a very nice looking coop![​IMG] Looks like your girls are enjoying their new home. Great job![​IMG]
     
  3. Whispering Winds

    Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

    VERY NICE!! I am green with envy!!! [​IMG]
     
  4. fpscabs

    fpscabs Out Of The Brooder

    47
    2
    32
    Jan 29, 2009
    Glendora, CA
    My 'Ice chest' style' roof:

    In order to keep the heat of the summer sun, mostly, as well as keeping it a bit warmer in the winter, I put a sized osb board on top of the hen house uprights.

    [​IMG]

    Then I boxed in this with 2x4s and filled with R-13 insulation

    [​IMG]


    I placed an oversized piece of 5/8s plywood on top with 30lb felt and comp.
     
  5. fpscabs

    fpscabs Out Of The Brooder

    47
    2
    32
    Jan 29, 2009
    Glendora, CA
    On my run door I took and on the swing edge I did a rabbet type notch and on the frame I cut the same notch to stop the door from swinging inside the run.

    My rough plans

    [​IMG]

    the pieces fresh off the tablesaw

    [​IMG]
     
  6. fpscabs

    fpscabs Out Of The Brooder

    47
    2
    32
    Jan 29, 2009
    Glendora, CA
    on each screen panel I nailed 1/2" staples to hold the hardware cloth down before framing the material on each side with a piece of molding that I routered and then ripped off from a 'dog-earred' fence piece. I had to make 54 - 3/4" x 6' boards or 324' worth of redwood. I had quite the pile of sawdust and chips. Each frame has 14' outside and 14' inside.

    On the picture with the door notch you can see the remaining 'dogearred' pieces plus part of the sawdust pile.

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. Mahonri

    Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

    30,361
    159
    446
    May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow. Great job.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by