Finally caught it on camera!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by busyteacher, Aug 19, 2011.

1. busyteacher

busyteacher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Well we got our game camera set up after losing some chickens and we finally caught some pictures of it. Turns out our guess was right as to what got the chickens. Now to get rid of it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one worries me the most since it was taken at 7:04AM! Usually our chickens are out at that time, but that day we got over there late. We got lucky that morning. After seeing this we keep them penned inside until around 9AM.

Our chickens are kept at our in-laws place and they are insisting that we trap and re-locate the cat. Has anyone had a pleasant experience with trapping such an animal? My husband personally just wants to shoot it and get it over with. What's the best way to get rid of this animal?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Sss

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:x2

4. cozwurth

cozwurth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Franklin, VA
    Is that a bobcat? I know we have a few around here, but I've only seen one while it crossed the road. It's the only thing that I've heard in my woods that really scared me. Literally sent chills up my spine. Looks like it's time to do a little hunting...

5. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    i say shoot it.

6. busyteacher

Jul 31, 2011
    Yep it's a bobcat. We actually saw it one night right after the raid on our chickens. It had come back for more! My husband was startled to see it and got a shot off but didn't hit it. Hopefully he can get out there soon. These were a couple of days ago and we haven't gotten anymore yet but I am sure we will.

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Relocating predators is against the law in most states. Call your local animal control and ask what the laws are in your area. If it was me, I'd SSS. Tell your in-laws you relocated it - just don't tell them it's new location is underground!

8. busyteacher

Jul 31, 2011
    Well I am not willing to carry the trap around with that thing live in there! I have a friend who it game warden one county over so I am going to ask him what the best way to deal with it is and hope he says shoot. That will be enough to convince them I think!

9. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What part of the country do you live? We don't have bobcats here yet, however I heard of Fishers in the northern protion of our state.

10. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I think it depends on where you live, I know that where I live in Az wildlife can be shot and killed for killing or attacking livestock. Personally I would call your local game and fish and see if they can come and set up a trap and relocate it, just remember that cats like this have a large territory and if it is not relocated far enough it may come back, however if you are allowed to shoot and kill it then it is up to you. I am sure with being prepared and ready your husband could bag it, that's what my hubbie would do. Then he would mount it [​IMG] Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by