Finally caught the perp

Good job catching it. Have you noticed a drop in egg production before this? I am waiting to jinx myself...we've had no predator problems. (Knock on wood) Anytime I've smelled skunk, I've woken in a panic and made DH go outside in the middle of the night to check the flock. Each time the skunk was actually roadkill a mile or more away from our house.
hmm.png

Okay, the time has come for me to finally admit it...

I actually like the smell of skunk. Not too strong, but a light dusting...wafting in the air...

I know, I know it's weird...
hide.gif
Be gentle.

My vet tells me that skunks are rarely out during the day unless they are rabid, so BE CAREFUL. Have the thing tested if you came in contact with any of its body fluids. If you mention rabies to animal control, they will probably arrange for the testing. Around here we rarely see a skunk that doesn't test positive for rabies even if it is showing no symptoms.

Quote:
Animal Control wouldn't help as I trapped it myself. Seriously.

I was very aware that its being out during the day probably means it is sick, and rabies is a possibility. I don't want to have to get the rabies series AND the immune globulin, so I was quite careful with it.

Rockinpaints... I threw a tarp over it, then took it over to a safe place to shoot it. Removed the tarp very carefully then ran. Came back out about 10 minutes later in old clothes, and shot it from quite a distance. Gave it a few hours to uhm ... freeze and have the stink dissipate. Double gloved with disposable gloves, then tipped it into a trash bag and tied it up. Threw that into another trash bag, then threw the top layer of gloves in. Tied that up, set it in a snowbank for tomorrows trash run (although it's flipping snowing again, lets hope I don't have to wait until spring to find it), got rid of bottom gloves in garage trash can, threw clothes in washer and got into the shower. I have it down to an art. And Fels Naptha laundry soap is the best for getting stink out of skin and clothes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom