Finally done with my coop & run

The hardware cloth apron extends beyond the pavers about 6” and is a single length run on each side. The pavers are on top of the hardware cloth. The pavers are just keeping the wood from sitting against the ground and getting mud splashed up since it’s very rainy here near Seattle.
That will definitely help.

The hardware cloth apron extends beyond the pavers about 6” and is a single length run on each side. The pavers are on top of the hardware cloth. The pavers are just keeping the wood from sitting against the ground and getting mud splashed up since it’s very rainy here near Seattle.
Oh I get keeping the wood out of the rain soaked ground (hence why my coop is elevated), but a paver + 6" apron won't offer the same type of predator protection as the full 18" without paver would. Sounds wacky I know. Any apron is still preferable than no apron of course.

Oh I get keeping the wood out of the rain soaked ground (hence why my coop is elevated), but a paver + 6" apron won't offer the same type of predator protection as the full 18" without paver would. Sounds wacky I know. Any apron is still preferable than no apron of course.
No, sorry - the apron is 18” — 12” under the pavers + 6” beyond

Doors are done now! 3 doors added: tall door for cleanout, top door for feeding without letting the chicks out, and then the top and bottom door can open as one to let them out to free range when they get big enough. I'm very happy it turned out so well (and very happy it's finally done!)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 1.43.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 1.43.10 PM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 11
Nice job! I love DIY, recycled, creative coop builders! In 20years I've actually ordered one cheap pre-fab for a brooder inside my huge coop that started out the same size as yours in Maple Valley! The thing about chicken math, you'll likely double and triple the size as the years go by. But it's fun and right now you get to relax and enjoy your hard work, Congrats!

Nice job! I love DIY, recycled, creative coop builders! In 20years I've actually ordered one cheap pre-fab for a brooder inside my huge coop that started out the same size as yours in Maple Valley! The thing about chicken math, you'll likely double and triple the size as the years go by. But it's fun and right now you get to relax and enjoy your hard work, Congrats!
Thank you - I built for up to 6 because it’s all I’m allowed in the city. Eventually they’ll be allowed to free range my backyard, but I gotta fix a few spots in the fence first.

Back
Top Bottom