Finally, Duck Pen Is Built Enough For Them To Move In

Good morning!

Great duck house....lotsa room!

I have a strange question thou....
seems everyone keeps their chickens and their ducks separate.
Can someone tell me if its because of health related problems mixing the two?

I guess I didn't know any better but my chickens and my ducks all live together...
The chickens sleep on their roost and in the boxes and the ducks sleep under the roost in the larger floor boxes.
I have 4 ducks and they usually snuggle with my white rock.
The white rock is too fat to jump up onto the roost.

I think they'd have separation anxiety if I separated them now but I'm just curious....

this is their house...chicken door for the chickens and the ducks just jump onto the rock to get inside..

th_kerreyfamily010.jpg

thanks!

kerri

I keep reading about everyone keeping their ducks in pens... does anyone let their ducks "free range"?

I'd like to get some ducks next spring, and I was thinking more along the lines of a 3 sided structure for shelter or access to 1/2 of the barn and letting them have free reign of the property, and the addition of a small pond. Is this not a good plan?

Quote:
Haha,thats how it goes,make nicer home for the ones you have ,then get more
big_smile.png
thats a nice pen.........I too put a steal tub out by my pen ...........my new Muscovy has yet to get in it.........he does however ruin all water containers I do have... I don't believe this duck has ever been in a container big enough !

Last edited:
Morning Countrygal and Kerr......... I let my duck free range with my entire flock,so far he is only venturing out about 25 ft though..... he had been a free range duck at his previous owners.......they all coop together, with the duck in the hen house as NONE of my chickens go into hen house at all.they roost on the branches in the run.......they seem to get along just find albiet the duck is a total slob !

Last edited:
Thanks Okiechick!

I have 2 pigs this year and have read that it's a good idea to keep ducks around to eat the flies. Even with just 2 pigs, there has definitely been lots of flies.

Next year I'm planning on doing 4 pigs, so I definitely want to add some ducks to my "hobby farm." I'm planning on getting some grown ducks at the local poultry sale next spring and I'm glad to know that I don't have to build another run!

My ducks free range with my chickens
They just all run around where ever they want to

mind you I lost a duck last week to "something" in the creek

since then the ducks just hang up by the coop in their pool
and yes they sure poop alot

My chickens go in one spot for the most part but not the DUCKS....
lol.png

Thank you again everyone! I am starting to believe that I should have just fenced in the whole yard.
th.gif
I picked that spot just for the shade of the trees. One of the trees is a peach tree. Does anyone know if they eat ripe peaches? Is it good for ducks? I don't put the ducks with the chickens because of the mess factor. I had to burn the brooder because of the bedding had gotten so wet and water logged the plywood. I will build another one when I am ready for babies.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom