Finally.......eggs !!!

Struttn1

Songster
13 Years
May 4, 2008
Southern Illinois
I let the Black Spanish turkeys out of the pen this morning and watched one of the young hens go sneaking off behind some coolers in my pole barn. I went over and took a peek after she eventually rejoined the flock and what did I see? Three eggs. Then I remembered the thread about turkeys laying on the top of their pens so I went over and checked the top of the brooder cage in the pen I have been keeping the hens in and what do I see.......yep......7 more eggs.
big_smile.png

JACKPOT !!! Time to fire up the incubator.
cool.png
The problem is I have no clue which hen out of the 3 breeds laid the 7.
hmm.png
Hatch day will be like Christmas morning.
lol.png

Last edited:
Will do. I want to get these eggs into the incubator at least a week before yours arrive so I can tell the birds from mine from yours. Mine I will sell. Those I get from you will be used to add to my breeding stock if I get a good hatch.
big_smile.png

When do you start getting guinea eggs by the way?

Last edited:
I'm thinking April last year was when they started laying, I have seen them chasing each other around doing the "guinea races" but no mating yet. We have 3 types this year, the mixed, solid white and the jumbo's.

Steve

Well I just spotted the Bourbon Red hen on top of the cage and not sounding very happy. I think the who laid the eggs question has been answered. Kinda spoils Christmas though.
wink.png

BR laid another egg right before going to roost. The incubator is holding steady right at 100. Should have a dozen or more ready to go into the incubator tommorrow.
big_smile.png

I ended up putting 14 eggs into the incubator. Something I noticed is the 3 breeds of hens I have all laid a different colored and patterned egg. The Black Spainish lay a dark tinted egg with reddish brown freckles while the Bourbon lays a lighter tinted egg with fainter freckle. The Royal Palm lays eggs that are tinted light like the Bourbon except they have larger freckles that are more spaced out and very prominent. I always figured all turkey eggs were the same color.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom