Finally Figured Out the New Water System

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenBokBok, Apr 26, 2011.

1. ChickenBokBok

ChickenBokBok New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    We built a chicken nipple watering container this weekend and it's taken three days, but this morning my most curious little hen finally figured it out. When I got home from work they had consumed roughly a quarter of a gallon of water between the five of them (they're all bantams).

I don't know if they've all figured it out yet, but no one looked sluggish so I'm assuming so.

I just had to share here. It's the first modification we've made since they came to live with us that has actually worked the way we intended. [​IMG]

Now to get them out of the nesting boxes and onto the roosting bar...

-----
    2 girls, 1 dog, 2 cats, 12ish goldfish, and 5 (4 hens and 1 roo) silver penciled barred rock bantams

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I am looking into the nipple water system. Are you using a bucket or a line system
    ?

3. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Congrats on your success!

I too am trying to plan and deploy a nipple-watering system to cut down on the carting of water. I'm planning on an in-line system with a tank.

Later ideas (once the first hurtles are past) are to try to do some rainwater collection, and possibly to do an informally "plumbed" system (using a garden hose) during the summer months.

4. ChickenBokBok

ChickenBokBok New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    HappyhensNY - I am actually using a half gallon pitcher for my watering system. This is my first experience with chickens and I wanted a low-cost option for the nipple watering system just to see if it would work and if these adult chickens I bought could figure it out.

ralleia - I'd love to see pictures if/when you get that working. I don't plan on keeping enough chickens to warrant that large a system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by