Finally finally eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by firsthouse_mp, Mar 16, 2011.

1. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    It has been a very long dry spell for lack of eggs....probably 2-3 eggs a week from 6 hens. I had a conversation about a month ago that I was rehoming the three that are over 2 or 3 yrs old. They just were not producing at all.

Then miraculously, like they heard me talking, they started laying this week. Out of 5 hens (one passed away since then), I had 4 eggs, then 3 eggs, then 3 eggs, then 4 eggs. That's 12 eggs in 4 days!! The drought is gone and eggs are coming my way. Did they know it was daylight savings on Sunday????

My sweet poor Sarah who was my first chicken died about a week ago but her friends are laying in her honor......

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So sorry you lost Sarah. [​IMG] But congrats on getting more eggs!

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    We have a NH red that we were talkin g about culling too- and now she's laying! She's only 2, but in the fall, all of her eggs were thin shelled and breaking- no matter what I fed her. I figured her "egg maker" was faulty. Then she went through a hard molt, and didn't lay for months. Now she's my egg machine, laying gorgeous large brown eggs every day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by