Finally found the right chick leg bands.

ninabeast

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Upstate New York
I was looking for an inexpensive way to tell my chicks apart until they were ready for their big girl leg bands (coloured velcro zip ties). I have 3 each of 4 breeds, so I've been able to tell them apart without help, for the most part. I placed a dab of food colouring on the heads of two BOs and a LB a while back, but my system went kaplooey when they turned four weeks and started losing their head down, and the food colouring with it. Is it Trixie or is it Buffy?! I don't know!!!!

So, I'd been searching for the right hair elastics to use, and, after a few false starts, found great ones at Rite-Aid, made by scunci. I did have to go to two big Rite-Aids to find them, though. There are eight colours in the package, including red, but we only needed four for our system, so red was easily avoided.

Putting them on was a breeze, and the girls didn't even blink. No pecking, no shaking. The one exception was my big LB, Tallulah, but it probably felt weird against her leg feathers at first.

I'll keep an eye on them to be sure they don't get tight, but I think, with the possible exception of the LBs, that these will do for a good while.

Success!

86005_img_3082.jpg

86005_img_3083.jpg

86005_img_3088.jpg

What age are your chicks I was thinking of doing the same thing with my chicks but hadn't found anything that work. Do you happen to know the name of the hairbands you got made by scunci

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom