FINALLY getting in to chickens!

Skink

Songster
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
DFW Texas
I've been waiting the better part of a decade to break in to chicken keeping, and my first chicks are arriving next week! Would've preferred to hatch them to spare the chicks some stress and me potential heartache, but even though I'm in the heart of chicken country I'm not sure I'd be able to find a home for every rooster locally (hens are perfectly legal here, roosters not so much.) Next time, since I'll have moved by then!

Starting off with white cochins! Hoping to get my hands on other colors, orpingtons, and also a few turkey and fancy pigeons in time. I'm only in it for the joy of their company, most of the eggs won't even get eaten by me. I'll likely feed them back or they'll end up with my other animals... I love chickens, but I am really more of a reptile person! Lots of uses for eggs among them and the insects I raise to feed some of them.

I figure it's wise to start parsing through the forums and accumulating knowledge from those of you more experienced than myself before problems arise! Hope to see you all around for more pleasant reasons than a big problem, though, heh.

Last edited:
HI
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
I hope you have fun with your new flock!!
D.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on the new soon to arrive chicks! Cochins are very pretty birds. I just love their size and furry legs! If you need any tips and hints on raising your new flock, stop by our learning center here on BYC for lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

So glad you could join our community! If you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom