FINALLY GOT EM! My ordeal with Ideal (Fuzzy Pix)

Quote:
Could be, I was thinking of a light brahma
idunno.gif

Quote:
I ordered Gold Penciled Hamburgs, Dominques, Red Sex-Links and Danish Brown Leghorns.

I was wrong the packing peanuts do have fury legs(just didn't notice) so I'm pretty sure they are Light Brahmas.
Still open to suggestions though because I found some pics of Light Brahma chicks on this forum and they don't really look the same.

Anyway, unfortunetley the second chick that was thought to be DOA has officially died. Now I feel bad for keeping it alive longer, don't think he was in pain though.

So far out of my order (11 chicks, 7 Peanuts) I had two that were basically DOA from the long shipping adventure and everyone else seems happy. There were two other chicks that couldn't sit up or walk or eat or drink when I first got them home but they have since come around and seem to be doing fine. Amazing how hardy these things are.

I did expect to lose some from the shipping taking so long but two isn't bad. I guess it could of been much worse!

The one thing I notice when I opened the shipping box was how much bigger the peanuts were than the other birds. I know the added warmth is good, but is it possible that larger more active peanuts could of been harmful too? I did find two chicks pretty much trampled on at the bottom of the box.

Quote:
I ordered Gold Penciled Hamburgs, Dominques, Red Sex-Links and Danish Brown Leghorns.

I was wrong the packing peanuts do have fury legs(just didn't notice) so I'm pretty sure they are Light Brahmas.
Still open to suggestions though because I found some pics of Light Brahma chicks on this forum and they don't really look the same.

Anyway, unfortunetley the second chick that was thought to be DOA has officially died. Now I feel bad for keeping it alive longer, don't think he was in pain though.

So far out of my order (11 chicks, 7 Peanuts) I had two that were basically DOA from the long shipping adventure and everyone else seems happy. There were two other chicks that couldn't sit up or walk or eat or drink when I first got them home but they have since come around and seem to be doing fine. Amazing how hardy these things are.

I did expect to lose some from the shipping taking so long but two isn't bad. I guess it could of been much worse!

The one thing I notice when I opened the shipping box was how much bigger the peanuts were than the other birds. I know the added warmth is good, but is it possible that larger more active peanuts could of been harmful too? I did find two chicks pretty much trampled on at the bottom of the box.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the larger chicks being a harm, but it is certainly a valid point to consider. I've seen feed stores with bantam chicks mixed with large fowl chicks, and it just seems a little precarious to me, as many of the smallest banties do seem to get squished. While I have no idea what the peanuts are, because of the feathered legs I would venture either Brahma or Cochin, like everyone else.

I wouldn't feel bad for trying to help that chick! You gave it a fighting chance after uncontrollable and unfair circumstances, which is pretty neat I think
cool.png

Oh and I LOVE those breeds you picked out! I've had a Red Sex-Link hen before and she layed eggs like a maniac. I also had a Brown Leghorn rooster and he was a marathon runner I tell you! He was also one of the prettiest chickens, his hackle feathers always looked like a sunset. Always wanted to get some Golden Penciled Hamburgs and Dominiques but never have. You should take pictures of your chickens as they age, so we can keep up with your feathered family!
wink.png
Again, congrats and good luck.

Quote:
Ha funny, I called Ideal yesterday and cancelled the re-shipment. Interesting how they just take your word for everything. Anyways, the sole reason for the call was to cancel the order...she ends up asking me about how the chicks were and I told her about the two I lost. She insists on crediting my account. I tell her it's not necessary but she does it anyways. Very nice people there!
thumbsup.gif

update on the peanuts:

As soon as the geniuses on this forum identified the breed I was able to list them on craigslist.

POOF! There off to their new home. A very nice lady came and picked them up, all 7 for 10 bucks.

Nearly cut my flock in half! Those guys were so big they were definitely eating and pooping way more than the pullets so I'm happy to seem them go!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom