Finally got our ducks from Orschelns. What did we get?

Then it's definitely a Cayuga. The little white on their chests is natural, and will not be white when they get feathers. If there is a bib, it's a Swedish. Here is an old pic of my cayuga, if it helps!

Oh yeah that helps a ton. That is exactly what these little guys look like. Pip has about as much yellow/white color on his chest as yours. Squeak has a lot of yellow and it could be in a bib but Estes doesn't carry Swedish, at least they don't show up on their website, and I am fairly certain that is where they get theirs from. I am thrilled with Cayuga's. No one will have seen them when they come for a visit. I hadn't heard of anything other than Pekins and Mallrds a month ago when we started talking about ducklings.

Here is some updated outdoor pics of the little guys. Any opinions on what these guys are would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to guess that the one with the bib is going to be a black swedish. If it was a cayuga, it wouldn't have the white spot near it's bill (unless it's a mix) and the yellow on the chest would be much smaller and mostly gone by now. But the black swedish, I've found, usually have white on their feet as well. So it could very well be a mis-marked cayuga!
I would like to say the other one is a cayuga. An all black duckling, unless it walks upright like a runner, should end up a cayuga.

I am going to guess that the one with the bib is going to be a black swedish. If it was a cayuga, it wouldn't have the white spot near it's bill (unless it's a mix) and the yellow on the chest would be much smaller and mostly gone by now. But the black swedish, I've found, usually have white on their feet as well. So it could very well be a mis-marked cayuga!
I would like to say the other one is a cayuga. An all black duckling, unless it walks upright like a runner, should end up a cayuga.

I am guessing a mix couuld be possible. The yellow sort of extends down it's chest a little but doesn't appear to be fading. I can't tell if they walk upright or not really. Sometimes I don't think they do and then other times I think it could be counted as more upright lol. I am holding out for the cayuga or swedish either one is great. Will I be able to better tell once they get their big bird feathers? That will be another 2-3 weeks probably. The older birds are really starting to get their big feathers. Today Crickett (Pekin) looks like she got a haircut. She has a spot on the top of her head without fuzz and new big girl feathers.

I gotta be honest. I am thinking they might be runners. I was hoping for something we didn't have but they will be pretty cool too. Capt. Jack is a runner and he is a pretty cool dude. Just not sure I really like the look of them as adults. Guess by then we are so in love with them we won't care, lol.

Here is a picture of Capt. Jack at almost 4 weeks old. I think he is whispering in Greyson's ear so he will give him some more worms, lol.

Back
Top Bottom