Finally got our ladies! First timers!

BackyardBradshaw

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Florida, USA
We got our girls today! 20 Golden Buffs. Been planning for over a year and I still feel like I'm in over my head. My daughter says she could watch them for the rest of her life lol. She'll be a good chicken mama. This is our first time raising chickens and I feel it's going to be a crazy ride!

I feel like we've got all the basics in our coop, but am worried the poop is going to get crazy in the next few days. We haven't had a chance to get our poop boards up yet. Any cleaning tips? We put 3 bags of pine shavings on the floor with some pdz. Do we just kind of scoop as we go?

I feel like I have so many other questions, but can't think of any to ask!

Attachments

• 20220206_163141.jpg
    20220206_163141.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220206_165436.jpg
    20220206_165436.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 4
We got our girls today! 20 Golden Buffs. Been planning for over a year and I still feel like I'm in over my head. My daughter says she could watch them for the rest of her life lol. She'll be a good chicken mama. This is our first time raising chickens and I feel it's going to be a crazy ride!

I feel like we've got all the basics in our coop, but am worried the poop is going to get crazy in the next few days. We haven't had a chance to get our poop boards up yet. Any cleaning tips? We put 3 bags of pine shavings on the floor with some pdz. Do we just kind of scoop as we go?

I feel like I have so many other questions, but can't think of any to ask!
Since these are sex linked hybrids, the white one is a Cockerel.

Congratulations on your new birds.

Thanks! Our floors are right up to the doors when you walk in so I don't think I'd be able to do deep bedding right now.
Could you cut the bottom of the door? The deep litter has worked well for me. I add shavings as it gets packed down and dirty then rake out top layer and repeat.

Edit: deep bedding. Deep litter is different.

Last edited:
Thanks! Our floors are right up to the doors when you walk in so I don't think I'd be able to do deep bedding right now.

Some people put a removable board across the bottom of the doorway so that they can have the best of both worlds -- deep litter that doesn't spill out and the easy ability to clean out a doorway level with the floor.

Back
Top Bottom