FINALLY got some outdoor housing..!

Maddog_photog

Songster
May 22, 2020
San Diego, CA
I finally got an outdoor overnight box for duckies!! I’ll be trying one pair tonight! It is approx 3’ x 8’ with 1/4” hardware cloth going up the first two feet, and chicken wire the top 2’, with about a foot of overlap. Held down tight onto plywood with bungee cords (not pictured) plexiglass roofing I installed today, and it’s ready to go!! More of a Motel6 than a Best Western but it’s 4 walls and a roof.

Attachments

• C3CD51FC-C7DE-4CDD-9F5D-42FC8F6432EE.jpeg
    C3CD51FC-C7DE-4CDD-9F5D-42FC8F6432EE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 0D194BE5-9ED9-484F-99BD-F1F2D4455995.jpeg
    0D194BE5-9ED9-484F-99BD-F1F2D4455995.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
At the very least I would replace the bungees with pipe straps screwed into your plywood. Except... I assume that’s how you put them in and let them out? Undo the bungees and lift?
I would still be wary of raccoons, if you have them in the area.

Also as mentioned, what are your provisions for wind protection? Even if your weather is mild most of the time, having provisions in mind for when you need them is less of a headache than trying to come up with something on the fly. It could be as simple as a tarp, shower curtain, plastic... another sheet of that nice roofing. Lol.

So they free range during the day; assuming that means that you have a perimeter fence? (the wooden one in the background?) That may make a difference in what kind of critters you may have that try their hand... err.. paw/claws.. at getting into this enclosure. :)

very nice job by the way. Not nitpicking, just offering suggestions. :) I’ve been battling skunks the last few weeks and it really gets you looking at things from very different angles. Lol.

Looks great! I bet the ducks will love it!
Depending on what predators you have, you may want to think about or add an apron of hardware cloth if this shelter will stay in one place.

What is an apron of hardware cloth?
Most people do a foot apron, I did a two foot apron. You attach hardware cloth to the bottom of the fence and lay it down on the ground so that it is a foot out from the walls. This helps deter predators from digging under the walls and into the shelter. Chicken wire isn't a good idea for an apron because predators can break it easily.

Most people do a foot apron, I did a two foot apron. You attach hardware cloth to the bottom of the fence and lay it down on the ground so that it is a foot out from the walls. This helps deter predators from digging under the walls and into the shelter. Chicken wire isn't a good idea for an apron because predators can break it easily.
The entire bottom of the enclosure is plywood, so a predator would have to dig under to the plywood and then break though the wood to get inside.

Back
Top Bottom