Finally here -- and with a question.

Gardeners3

Chirping
7 Years
May 19, 2012
Puget Sound Island, WA
Hi Everyone!

We (especially my 10-year-old son and me) have been wanting chickens for 2 years, and finally got our girls a month ago. We joined BYC because it seems every time I google anything chicken, we end up here. Glad to join the flock!

10-year-old has a question. We read the thread on taming your chickens yesterday (from the carousel), and it seems we've done everything wrong. We got 6-week-olds, we touched and held them a lot, and have let neighborhood children in, too. Couldn't stop 'em! Our new pets are the talk of the 'hood!

3 of the birds are varying degrees of skittish, and one (the buff orp.) is quite docile and friendly. Is there anything we can do to encourage the others to be more docile?

Thank you!

frow.gif
Use treats to help the skittish ones, but keep in mind they are chickens. Some never become pets as they have certain instincts to keep them alive. Fast moves scare them. Standing over them is definitely scary. Laughing and giggling is startling to them.

Remind the children these are not dogs or cats. You don't see chickens grooming each other, asking to be cuddled or seek out humans for companionship. Buff Orps are probably the best choice for families. They are amazingly tolerant.

Teach the kids how to behave around chickens. The best thing they can do is sit down and play with something on the ground. The chickens will come to investigate and snatch a snack if at all possible.

frow.gif
Use treats to help the skittish ones, but keep in mind they are chickens. Some never become pets as they have certain instincts to keep them alive. Fast moves scare them. Standing over them is definitely scary. Laughing and giggling is startling to them.

Remind the children these are not dogs or cats. You don't see chickens grooming each other, asking to be cuddled or seek out humans for companionship. Buff Orps are probably the best choice for families. They are amazingly tolerant.

Teach the kids how to behave around chickens. The best thing they can do is sit down and play with something on the ground. The chickens will come to investigate and snatch a snack if at all possible.
This is great advice. Some of it we're already doing, but it gives us good ideas to add in. Thank you!

Welcome to BYC and good luck with the chickens!
smile.png
I didn't see what other breeds you had but some of the advice about some breeds just being more skittish is correct. I've got a three year old who wants to hold all the chickens but the Plymouth Barred Rock is the only one of our group who will let him (and she actually approaches him) although they will all come up to him when he calls them to check him out. Feeding "treats" is a good way to help to. If you feed while they're being held that will probably help the most. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom