Finally in the nest box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeaRae, Dec 7, 2009.

1. LeaRae

LeaRae Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    I got one in the nest box yesterday! I didn't get a chance to check this morning because I was in a hurry and didn't have a flashlight (it was still dark), but someone else should have checked by now so I will find out when I get home [​IMG]. Hopefully she will make it a regular habit and I wont have to crawl on my hands and knees through a minefield to get them anymore [​IMG] And hopefully the other three will start laying soon D: 7 months old now

Just took a few golf balls, what a trick [​IMG]

And, as a bit of comic relief:

We had our first "real" snowfall last night. About two inches. As I went out to them this morning, they were standing in the run, silent and glaring at me like
    [​IMG]

At least they're not scared of snow... like they were of the pumpkin, the noodles, the birdseed bell, the strawberries, the waterer (they finally got over that one...) the.......... forget scaredy cats, I have scaredy chickens!

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Maybe I should add more than 1 in each nest....How many per nest box did you use?

Cal
    Have no eggs
    Jax FL

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Congrats on the good behavior:thumbsup I was too cheap for the golf balls or buying wooden eggs from the poultry supply places, so I bought wooden ovals from an online craft store for a good bit less and I put 3 eggs in each box......with a whole bunch still in the house to spare if I need it for later. This is my first chicken venture ever that I can honestly say that all the eggs were layed exactly where they should have been.....not one on the ground ever. [​IMG]

4. LeaRae

LeaRae Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    As per the recommendation of much of my reading, I have more of a "nest shelf", it's just a shelf with an edge on it. I have wood chips up there just like the rest of the coop. I probably wouldn't do the shelf again, in favor of a more "cozy" nesting box.

I think I just threw 4 golf balls up there. equally spaced. I haven't seen them, but I know the ladies have moved them around. I never moved them after I placed them... I guess it worked [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by