Finally incubating! Lots of questions

Make your Ice Water, and stick the tip of the La-Corsse in. You know what it should read. Even if it is off, as long as it's consistently off by the same amount, you can add/subtract, to adjust accordingly.
Se just the edge. I did try that, but didn't try very hard, I'll give it another go. Thank you! Now I at least know I'm trying to calibrate that one correctly.

Make your Ice Water, and stick the tip of the La-Corsse in. You know what it should read. Even if it is off, as long as it's consistently off by the same amount, you can add/subtract, to adjust accordingly.
Well, I did this again, I stuck the bottom of the thermometer in the water, and didn't realize it had vents in the side. Longish story short, I totally broke it, the screen was blank and I could hear water sloshing inside it.
I'm gonna order a new hydrometer then with temp included. Darn, you have got to be kidding me! :barnie 🤦‍♀️
Though, its pretty funny at the same time... Lol!

Last edited:
I candled 4 of the eggs on day 5 today, should I be concerned that I didn't see anything? I need to order a candler, my light isn't bright enough I don't think, but what do you think? The green eggs are hard to candle, but I've heard that if they glow red its a sign of viability? Is that true? I didn't see any veins, but the air cells are bigger, just harder to capture in the image. They aren't glowing white like I expected them to, but I did see the edge of them while I was candling. I only have one pic of each that didn't' come out blurry, I can try to get some more if these aren't good enough though. I'm using a Duracell headlamp in the picture if that makes a difference.

Egg #1
IMG_1638.jpg

Egg #2
IMG_1642.jpg

Egg #3
IMG_1648.jpg

Egg #4
IMG_1651.jpg

I'm of course going to give them more time, but I'm only concerned because I've been looking at this article for guidance, and the pictures there seem to have lots of veins were I can't see any. Should I be concerned? Or am I over reacting because I'm a first time hatcher? Thanks for your time!

It is hard to see veins this early when using a makeshift candler. Even harder with darker eggs.
The link here is for a great little candler that is very reasonably priced: Magicfly Rechargeable Wireless Egg Candler Tester for Monitoring Eggs Development, Bright Cool LED Light Candling Lamp

FYI and I know you are well into the incubation but I use Govee thermometer/hygrometers in my Styrofoam incubators because they can be so fickle.
Govee Smart Temperature Humidity Monitor 2-Pack, Indoor Room Thermometer Hygrometer with App Alert, Mini Bluetooth Digital Thermometer Humidity Sensor with Data Storage for Home, Greenhouse, Cellar

I also use small auxiliary fans in the Styrofoam incubators: ANVISION 2-Pack 40mm x 10mm DC 5V USB Brushless Cooling Fan, Dual Ball Bearing, YDM4010B05

I bought these covers for them too: ELUTENG 40mm Fan Filter 2 Pack Dustproof Cover USB Cooling Ventilator Plastic Grill 40x40 USB Fan Blower Mesh Kit Compatible for DIY 4cm Computer Case Fan Dirt Filtering

To set them up I added velcro strips to the inside of the incubator at the desired height and it has helped tremendously in evening out the temperatures.

Keep in mind that adding a fan will affect the humidity some.

Good luck on the hatch!

Hey guys! I got a Little Giant Deluxe incubator for Christmas, and am finally ready to incubate. I did want a Nurture right 360, and was slightly disappointed, but still excited none the less, I'm definitely not complaining. :celebrateI'm incubating! Finally!
I am still getting eggs together for hatching, but am setting it up now to get the hang of it. So far, it seems like the Temp is off by a few degrees, but the other thermometer may still be catching up. The humidity hasn't stabilized yet either i'm waiting for it to level out. I read that Bantam hatching eggs need a 40 to 50 percent humidity, but that isn't an exact number, I want to double check on that.

The box says its includes fan kit, but the instructions are confusing and keep saying the fan kit is cold separately. I'm assuming that that is just for their other models that don't include the fan kit. So with a fan, what does the temp/humidity need to be for bantam hatching eggs? They actually may be mixed, standard hens with bantam rooster, but I haven't gotten the eggs yet.

I obviously have 0 experience lol! Questions- how do you lower the humidity if its to high? How do you know if the turner is working? Can I trust an automatic turner? Those are my questions for now, but i'm sure ill think of more. Thanks for your time and help!
I have the same incubater for my daughter and we love it just follow the directions we have no fan but I've learned if you read directions out loud I understand them better

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on shipped eggs until you have all the kinks worked out with eggs that don't have the extra problems of being older (shipping time, means more time between being laid and being placed in the incubator) as well as the extra problem of poor handling during shipping.

Back
Top Bottom