Finally incubating! Lots of questions

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! I got a Little Giant Deluxe incubator for Christmas, and am finally ready to incubate. I did want a Nurture right 360, and was slightly disappointed, but still excited none the less, I'm definitely not complaining. :celebrateI'm incubating! Finally!
I am still getting eggs together for hatching, but am setting it up now to get the hang of it. So far, it seems like the Temp is off by a few degrees, but the other thermometer may still be catching up. The humidity hasn't stabilized yet either i'm waiting for it to level out. I read that Bantam hatching eggs need a 40 to 50 percent humidity, but that isn't an exact number, I want to double check on that.

The box says its includes fan kit, but the instructions are confusing and keep saying the fan kit is cold separately. I'm assuming that that is just for their other models that don't include the fan kit. So with a fan, what does the temp/humidity need to be for bantam hatching eggs? They actually may be mixed, standard hens with bantam rooster, but I haven't gotten the eggs yet.

I obviously have 0 experience lol! Questions- how do you lower the humidity if its to high? How do you know if the turner is working? Can I trust an automatic turner? Those are my questions for now, but i'm sure ill think of more. Thanks for your time and help!

Last edited:
Ok, I’m a little late, but I can answer several of your questions. If you live in a place where it’s hard to get humidity up, keep your humidity higher. I’d say about 48% before lockdown and 68-70% in lockdown. If you live somewhere where it’s easy to get humidity up, I recommend 40% before lockdown, and 65% during lockdown. If the humidity is too high, you can open the bator right up. Bantam eggs aren’t special. You can do regular temp and regular humidity. Not sure how to test out the turner. You can trust the turners. Though, If you do want to do it yourself, you can.
Awesome! Thank you! Your not late at all! I'm just getting the incubator setup before I put eggs in, so I have about a week to go.
I also read in an article that humidity is a little different compared to climate, so weighing the eggs and checking air cell size is the best way to tell if your humidity is to high or to low. I think its going to be pretty easy to keep humidity up here, so I'll keep it lower. Thank you!
The turner seems to be working and doing its job, I saw it move a few times last night, so I'm going to trust that so far. I also read in the same article, that you should keep keep the temp for a forced air bator, around 99.5, and of course, always use a calibrated thermometer. I'm very excited! I'll keep you guys updated on how the incubator works in the next few days!

Well, I haven't decided wether or not I want to pay $40 for 8 eggs on Ebay, or if I want to take eggs that have a bantam rooster, and standard hen, and take all the bantam chicks and the power of the bantam rooster who is a good friend of mine, can have the stander sized hens to raise for meat. We haven't made a deal on it yet though. We'll see how I go.
What breed are the ones from eBay?

Honestly, it’s most likely worth paying that. The More diversity in your flock the more exciting it is :)

It looks like the temperature is holding at 99.8 degrees. According to the thermometer I put on the inside. I haven't calibrated it yet, but I will definitely do that before setting eggs. What about humidity? What percent should that be? It looks like 35% right now, but its only been running for about 45 minuets. I'm going to add water if I can find a dish that will sit onto of the egg turner without spilling, or a dish that can hold the sponge.
I moved the thermometer/humidity gauge to the far corner instead of the middle, and the temp changed by .5% so far. So maybe the fan isn't perfect, or is still leveling out, so far it seems okay though.
I will update in the morning and tell you how it looks then. It will be settled by then as well. Everything will be more accurate, but I am adding a sponge before I go to bed.
Ok, I’m a little late, but I can answer several of your questions. If you live in a place where it’s hard to get humidity up, keep your humidity higher. I’d say about 48% before lockdown and 68-70% in lockdown. If you live somewhere where it’s easy to get humidity up, I recommend 40% before lockdown, and 65% during lockdown. If the humidity is too high, you can open the bator right up. Bantam eggs aren’t special. You can do regular temp and regular humidity. Not sure how to test out the turner. You can trust the turners. Though, If you do want to do it yourself, you can.

Awesome! Thank you! Your not late at all! I'm just getting the incubator setup before I put eggs in, so I have about a week to go.
I also read in an article that humidity is a little different compared to climate, so weighing the eggs and checking air cell size is the best way to tell if your humidity is to high or to low. I think its going to be pretty easy to keep humidity up here, so I'll keep it lower. Thank you!
The turner seems to be working and doing its job, I saw it move a few times last night, so I'm going to trust that so far. I also read in the same article, that you should keep keep the temp for a forced air bator, around 99.5, and of course, always use a calibrated thermometer. I'm very excited! I'll keep you guys updated on how the incubator works in the next few days!
Good luck Weeg!

*too
I don’t blame you. Incubating is something I’ve always wanted to do too, I would feel the same way. Maybe I’d buy that incubator from you 😉 😂
I'm really excited, like I said, I'm checking the bator every 20 minutes, and it doesn't' even have eggs in it! Lol! I don't know what I expect to see thats different from the last time. Lol!

Did you order your speckled Sussex hatching eggs yet?
Well, I haven't decided wether or not I want to pay $40 for 8 eggs on Ebay, or if I want to take eggs that have a bantam rooster, and standard hen, and take all the bantam chicks and the power of the bantam rooster who is a good friend of mine, can have the stander sized hens to raise for meat. We haven't made a deal on it yet though. We'll see how I go.

Back
Top Bottom