Finally Introducing Myself - big time noob

jellyroll

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2018
Hello,

I've posted on here several times prior to a formal introduction since I had some serious sickness issues. On August 26 we started out with 24 baby chicks (21 bantams and 3 naked necks) and we're down to 18 (have lost only the bantams).

We bought the place (that we are currently living) a little over one year ago and inherited a chicken coop and run. Not an impressive specimen of craftsmanship, but it will do for now. The coop is roughly 9-ft by 9-ft and about 8-ft high at the walls and almost 9-ft tall at the peak. The covered run is 7-ft wide and roughly 40-ft long. We also have another fenced in area (not covered) that they can roam safely from our dogs but there is no overhead protection from aerial predators. We typically let them out there on the weekends, but only in the covered run during the week.

The flock got put out here after 2-3 weeks from coming home. Since that time, they have favored piling on top of each other while sleeping on the floor of the coop. Just recently, they have begun to get up off of the ground and I finally installed some roosts for them. I have a nesting box but I have not installed it yet. I have a gut feeling that they are going to use this as a roosting area and I want to keep that from happening for now. Any advise on when to install this is appreciated. Or if letting them roost in it is okay until they start laying eggs........no clue at this point.

Anyway, some pics are attached.

Jellyroll

Attachments

• IMG_2311.jpg
    IMG_2311.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 15
Hi and welcome to BYC. Great advice from Sourland.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link, if you have not already done so. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

BYC-mixed-flock-border.png

Glad to have you here!
That looks like a pretty decent coop/run setup, I'm just not sure about the giant fan right next to the roosts... @aart may have a better suggestion for placement.

Chickens naturally want to roost (sleep) up high because they feel safer. So place the nest boxes lower or at ground level, and then try putting some fake eggs or golf balls in there to "give them the idea" where to lay. Once they get full size they probably won't be able to fit on those ledges near the rafters.

Here are some article links with very helpful information if you plan to build a new coop.
How Much Room do Chickens Need

Chicken Coop Ventilation – Go Out There and Cut More Holes in Your Coop

Predator Proofing

flappyChicken.gif
I wish you the best in your new chicken adventure!!

Back
Top Bottom