Finally joining the flock - Hello BYC!

tstreetman

Chirping
May 9, 2019
Omaha, NE
Hi all! My name is Terry, and after a lot of lurking and searching these forums for information and advice, I've finally decided to join. Thanks for all the great info!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

My wife and I have been talking about getting chickens for years, but just finally purchased a house with enough yard to do so. We purchased our chicks in early March of this year from a local farm store, and have just passed our coop inspection and are officially backyard chicken keepers!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have 5.

(3) What breeds do you have?

One Rhode Island Red, one Black Australorp, one Welsummer, and two Ameraucanas.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

So far, it has been learning new skills as I built our coop, and also watching the chickens grow and learn.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Baking, crafting, woodworking, and enjoying craft cocktails/craft spirits.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My wife Emily is also a member of the board (though I don't recall her username at the moment). We have one dog, a morkie named Peanut. We're still working on getting him used to the chickens. I work in nonprofit lobbying and advocacy.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I learned about BYC from my wife as we were planning out our coop and our little flock. I finally joined to be able to ask specific questions I have as we learn more about managing our birds, and because it seemed like a very friendly, welcoming community.

Hello Terry and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom