Finally!!! My First Egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bacchus, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Wow! This is exciting! [​IMG] I was watering my plants this afternoon and heard a *thud* in the coop, so I ran over and found my first ever egg! She must have laid it earlier this morning, since she wasn't the chicken in the coop at the time. The only reason I sort of know who laid it is because only one of my chickens is old enough (about 5 1/2 months old), and the second oldest are only 13 weeks olds. Is it possible for 13 week-old EEs to lay? [​IMG] Any insight would be much appreciated.

Anyways, here's the chicken that I assume laid it:
    [​IMG]

Could it be one of the EEs behind her, since the egg appear to be a peachy color?
    [​IMG]

And here's the egg:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    I can't answer your questions...just wanted to say congrats, and to ask you what kind of chickens those are. [​IMG]

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I dont know about the age of layers. But great big kudos on your first egg. I know it's very exciting. [​IMG]

4. Bacchus

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks! It IS very exciting, especially since it's sort of out of the blue... I really wasn't expecting any eggs at all, which makes it that much more exciting. [​IMG]

FlewTheCoop: The ones in the back are EEs, they're 13 weeks old. The one in front (that I assume laid the egg), I think is a mixed breed chicken that's raised as a meat bird. I got her from a slaughter house and the person who gave her to me said it's an Asian breed, but I'm not sure how reliable that information is.

5. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Congrads!

6. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    (wince) I'm sorry...I'm a newbie. What are EEs? I can't figure it out, and I just know it's gonna be obvious. haha

7. Bacchus

Jan 9, 2009
    Quote:That's fine... It took me a while to figure it out too! [​IMG] EE = Easter Eggers.

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

9. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Cant wait till my girl starets to lay. YAY!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by