Finally!! My noise complaint

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it so much.

As far as addressing the neighbors...I will go to each neighbor this evening and discuss this issue. I have also crafted a letter explaining my resolution in case I miss someone or they won't come to the door. I will offer eggs of course, but it won't be much as I only get two a day right now. LOL! I agree that chicken noise is no more annoying than barking dogs, yowling cats, cackling crows or general vehicle noise. My girls really aren't that loud but I think we are the only house in the neighborhood that has chickens. It may just be an annoying sound.

The foam insulation board would have to go on the outside of the coop as I am afraid the girls would eat it if it were inside. I thinking of putting plastic over the foam board to keep it dry in the winter. It wouldn't look pretty but if it keeps the neighbors (and chickens) quiet, it'll have to be done.

I made sure, before I went down the chicken raising path that I was in compliance with City code. I will address that in person and in the letter. If anybody who shares in my situation would like a copy of the letter for future use, PM me. I'd be happy to share.

If anyone else has any more thoughts, please share.

Thanks!

Given the feedback from AtholCoop and MikeCNorthwest, I may not do anything. You've given me something to think about. I'll keep your input in mind and thank you for everyone's input.

Personally, I'd prefer not to have any contact with my neighbors. I know that sounds awful but I like my privacy. I dream of the day I can live on a couple acres and not have neighbors literally 10 feet away from me. *sigh* Someday I guess. In the meantime, I've got my own little farm with three chickens, two cats, a fish and two vegetable gardens. LOL!

Oh no!! Are you legally allowed to have them? If so I would just nicely work into the conversation that they aren't breaking any noise ordinances! Maybe if you invited them over they will fall in love with your flock and lay off?

We just dealt with the city for our rooster- we aren't allowed ANY poultry or rabbits. I rehomed the rooster and hid everyone else. However my little BR makes a huge loud ruckus anyttime she can't find her friends- which is generally right when I let them out of the coop in the morning. I try to wait until after 7 (same noise ordinance) but like today it was hot so they wanted out early. I'm SO worried that enforcer will show up again and its impossible to say who called because we have so many neighbors -otherwise I would just be super friendly and charm them with my Wit
tongue.png

The maddening thing is -seriously- 90% of the day they are very quiet to silent. My male duck is the only one who says anything and he of course has that quiet hollow quack you can barely hear across the yard. So I am crossing my fingers knocking on wood hoping and praying it was just the rooster they didn't like!!
I feel your pain though! I don't understand why ppl get so bent out of shape with other ppls business. The ONLY time I have ever called on a neighbor was because they were loud partying practically in my backyard until all hours of the morning and I had to work the next day. And even then I gave them til 2am.

Best of luck to you!!!

I think a couple of the other posted responses have it right...no need to try to pacify folks who are likely natural-born complainers.

They probably thought they would get more traction with their complaint than they did. Given that your conversation with the code compliance fellow went so well (especially since he turns out to be a chicken owner/enthusiast himself), and you clearly encountered someone who is sympathetic, and views you as a responsible fowl keeper, I expect you can and should consider the matter closed - unless and until - the neighbor in question confronts you, or says something snarky in passing.

There are just poor souls out there who are more concerned with minding everyone else's behaviour than looking for the good in each day...making sure everyone lives a rigidly governed little life, at cost of greater misery for all.

Feel badly for them, but don't let them make you feel bad in the least - not when you are a conscientious and respectful (chicken) owner.

I live just a couple of hours S. of you, in the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley, and I'm fortunate enough to live one long city block South outside of the boundary street designating where chickens in any number (or any other livestock)may or may not be legally kept, so I don't have to be concerned with my fowl being "Outlaw Chickens".

Even if that defining line was moved, I would probably be fine to still keep chickens, because I have been on good terms with my neighbors, and because, down a two block long stretch of back alleyway, there are at least 15 dogs. None of them are quiet, but some of them are bona fide 24/7 yapping monsters - just as likely to go off at 2 am as they are at 2 pm or any other random time in-between.

My six Black Aussies don't even come close to that (especially once the sun goes down) and I don't expect the 3 week old chicks will alter the lack of cacophony any time soon.

Lightfoote

Personally, I'd prefer not to have any contact with my neighbors. I know that sounds awful but I like my privacy. I dream of the day I can live on a couple acres and not have neighbors literally 10 feet away from me. *sigh* Someday I guess. In the meantime, I've got my own little farm with three chickens, two cats, a fish and two vegetable gardens. LOL!

My neighbours on the one side ignored us for 3.5 years until I spent pretty much all of May in my backyard building a chicken coop. Their curiousity got the better of them and they had to ask what I was building, they were quite surprised when I told them we had chickens! But it seemed to break the ice enough that now they give cookies to my dogs, say hi to us if they see us (they used to pretend we weren't there, and I was okay with that), and frequently inquire as to how the hens are doing. And the neighbours on the other side also got curious and had to ask what we were up to. They also were okay with the chickens (it is legal here, just no roos allowed). I agree with the others who say do nothing as long as you are keeping your hens legally. I can't hear my chickens when I'm in my house, but I sure can hear the neighbourhood dogs barking. And I'm fine with that, because the noise of dogs, cars, car alarms, kids, lawnmowers, etc. is part of urban living. Besides, your cranky neighbours probably don't realize chickens are legal where you are and think they can bully you into giving them up. No sucking up to cranky neighbours when you're not doing anything wrong!

Now, if you are an outlaw and the occasional bribe is required to keep the locals off your back, that's a different story....
wink.png

Lots of good answers and ideas and here is how I would handle it.

Make sure you know any County or City ordinances and be sure you are within the law then ask yourself if you are doing the same you would expect a neighbor to do as far as cleaning and reasonable noise reduction like no roo, good housing, etc.

If all are checked in your mind then to heck with them and like a previous poster said "they have the problem"

Some folks just think chickens nasty and disease carrying critters not fit to be around their home and nothing you say can change that sadly, not even eggs.

Usually after a while they get used to it and lay off....

No chicken outlaws here. I'm 100% legal with my three little girls. They are spoiled rotten and act like dogs. They come when they're called and hang out with me when I'm outside. They are well on their way to destroying my flower beds and one of my veggie gardens but are pardoned because they're so cute and really are a ton of fun!

Their coop and run is totally clean. It's 90+ degrees this week and I can't smell it at all. I can smell cat pee at 40 paces (grrrr...drives me nuts) & if I can't smell the chickens, smell is not an issue. LOL!

Hubby says he doesn't like them and they are "MY" chickens but I've suspect he plays with them when I'm not home and he sneaks them treats when he thinks I'm not looking.

It does make me feel better that the over all tone from code enforcement was empathy and that after talking with me he realized the complaint seemed to be unfounded. I may end up just leaving it alone & addressing it if there is another complaint. My chickens make no more noise than the surrounding dogs.

Quote:
Your darn is quiet? How did you pull that off? My neighbors laugh because they can hear mine down the road (we are country people so they are literally down the road). They always know when something strange happens in the yard or its vicinity because of the foghorn alarm.

Regardless of it being legal to have chickens, there is likely an independent noise ordinance prohibiting anyone from creating objectionable or disturbing noise, and hopefully there is a tight definition of what that is. Many cities have limits on how many minutes at how many decibels... or guidelines such as a dog cannot be allow to bark continuously for more than 10 minutes. Also regardless of ordinances, you could be subject to a private nuisance lawsuit, although these are tough to win.

Noise is a difficult problem. Some people are highly sensitive to noise, some people work at home and need to concentrate, some people work nights and need to sleep in the day, and many people just feel they deserve the peaceful enjoyment of their home and yard, especially in a residential area. Noise is extremely difficult to block and for some, to ignore. I find myself on the receiving end of such a situation, and my own chickens ain't nuthin compared to the noise this neighbor creates.

To each his and her own, but I would be inclined to talk with neighbors and try to understand the exact issue, possibly soundproof coop, and possibly change my behavior, e.g., such as confining birds a bit later in the a.m. to try to make it agreeable for everybody. I think proactive attempts at harmony will in the long run lead to more chicken keeping permitted in urban and suburban areas.

Back
Top Bottom