Finally processed my extra drakes.

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
I have 4 Muscovy drakes and only 1 hen (1 drake is a muscovy mix). They are about 7 months old and only just started showing breeding behaviors. Then they started trying to breed with my chickens so I knew the day was coming. Well, the day came.

I have only processed 1 duck before, for Thanksgiving and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. So, I decided to try slitting the throat instead of trying to chop off the head (this is where I had problems before, the head didn't come off). I have read that it is near impossible to slit the throat of a Muscovy drake. Not so. With my first, I really looked at the anatomy after the fact so that I knew exactly where everything was. I didn't even cut the windpipe, just the jugulars.
big_smile.png
I also decided to skin them as I don't have the right equipment to scald and didn't feel like dealing with it.

The whole process from setup to cleanup took about 4 hours. I was working alone as DH has NO interest in processing, just the finished product. The 1st took about 1 hour to sking and divide into quarters. The 3rd duck would have only taken about 20 minutes if I hadn't had to fiddle with the wings.
lol.png

Overall, I was very happy even with the time it took. Being only my second attempt and alone, I know that eventually it will get easier and quicker.

I have some huge breast sections, I'm thinking the largest are over 1 lb each! Close to 1.5. I kept the mixed one whole for now so that I can piece him out seperately and see the difference in flavor.

I am brining for 24 hours and will throw them in the freezer tomorrow.

The worst part is that I was starting to get into a groove and now I have nothing left to process.
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Forgot to add I got the last one skinned in almost 1 piece. (minus the first 2 joints of the wing.
clap.gif

43796_imag0338.jpg

His throat and head are hanging over my hand.

I was rather impressed with myself.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have about 20 that you can process if you're bored.
wink.png

Good job on processing those extra draks.
thumbsup.gif

lau.gif
If I was closer, I would not mind lending a hand. I figure the more practice I get the better.
gig.gif

Quote:
For the breasts, I will grill, saute etc. Probably just sear and leave at a nice medium medium/rare. For the legs/thighs something slower, not sure yet.

I know everyone says you need the skin but for Thanksgiving I did pluck one and roasted it. There was hardly any pan drippings. These 3 that I skinned, there was virtually no fat, not even a fat pocket in the abdomen.

Quote:
For the breasts, I will grill, saute etc. Probably just sear and leave at a nice medium medium/rare. For the legs/thighs something slower, not sure yet.

I know everyone says you need the skin but for Thanksgiving I did pluck one and roasted it. There was hardly any pan drippings. These 3 that I skinned, there was virtually no fat, not even a fat pocket in the abdomen.

droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

Quote:

droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

I'd tell DH no helpy no ducky
big_smile.png

Quote:
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

I'd tell DH no helpy no ducky
big_smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Unfortunately, I think I might end up picking him up off the ground and cleaning up the vomit if I did.
gig.gif

I am hoping that in the future when we live on more land and processing is happening more often, I can at least get some help.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom