finally, she squats!!

curliet

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
west Michigan
My almost 6 month old young one, Ninja, pulled a squat yesterday when i went to reach for her. She's been a big mystery to me, all glossy black, feathered feet, fuzzy muffs on her face and the weirdest sound when she makes any. She kind of beeps like a red squeezie clown nose. I hadn't really noticed any color changes in her comb or wattles, or in her behavior and was starting to think that she was going to suddenly start to crow. But yesterday I was trying to get her out of a corner of the garage, chased her into the driveway and leaned down to pick her up and SHE SQUATTED! YAYYYYYYY! So happy for that, really didn't want to have to rehome her if she was a him. She's so pretty and different. We joke that her Auracana mom might have mated with a crow.

woot.gif

YAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!! We finally got eggs from little Ninja, our pretty black Auracauna (or Americauna, wish we knew which) mix. It figures that we went away for the weekend, and when we got home last night found two small pullet eggs in the nest. Unfortunately, because she's a mixed breed, they aren't green or blue, but a light beige color. I would love to find some colored eggs, but guess the color isn't really as important as just having eggs at all.

I wouldn't mind having light beige eggs! LOL! I wish I could find a hen that lays yellow eggs, too. I'd buy her! The girls in my flock were chosen specifically because they all lay a different colored egg. I hope to someday be in a position to sell my eggs (right now we're only getting 4-5 eggs a week--even though the majority of my girls are 7-8 months old, only 1 is laying so far). That's why I'm getting a copper marans in the spring, probably getting a young olive egger pullet and possibly also a lavender orp pullet, and I would love to find a lakenvelder to get white eggs (we're not doing leghorns in the city again.... we miss Felipa Leghorn and loved her, but she was hecka loud & we worried constantly about the neighbors complaining).

Back
Top Bottom