Finally started the coop! *Pics inside*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 17, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's my coop that we started on Sat. I am soooo excited!!! I think it is coming along nicely! [​IMG] I put vinyl down on the floor today. We are going to try and finish the walls today. We have used a combination of wood that I have bought and wood that I have gathered from pallets. The roof frame is made completely from wood that I have gathered from a furniture company and pallets. My DH has great ideas for the siding too. He wants to get some pallet wood and stack it like you would the cedar roofing. I'm excited to see what it will all look like when it is finished! Will post some more pics when we get some more finished.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Lookin fabulous!!!!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    WOW!

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Very impressive start![​IMG] It looks like it could stand up to a hurricane. I'm sure the chickens will love it.

The bonus is that it would make a great playhouse if the chicken thing doesn't work out:D Can't wait to see the finished coop.

The pallet roof idea would probably look great, and a good way to recycle wood. Make sure you show us a picture of that, when it's done. I may steal that idea for a shed for my tractor, as I can get plenty of free pallets.

5. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    Wow, looks good, makes me wish I had the room to build one. [​IMG]

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I really like that design - looks like a little chalet cottage!

What are the dimensions and what is the height at the point of the roof as compared to the side walls??

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That is actually what I call it! It's my chicken chalet and more than I expected my DH to do, to be honest!!! [​IMG] The peak of the roof to the floor measures 11'. The walls are 4 ' high. The actual floor dimensions of the coop are 11' X 8'.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  8. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Great job. I also reuse as much as I can. Keeps coast down and waste out of the land field.

9. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    thats a nice looking coop.youll enjoy it when it gets completed.

10. Bigreddogchickens

Bigreddogchickens New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    Looks NICE !!! !!! What are the dimensions????? I just modified a storage addition on the back side of my garage for my 43 chicks... I am thinking I will build a stand alone coop later.... Let me know... Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by