Finally starting my walk in coop. Want to follow?

Pics
I was wondering about this(I knew it would happen!) :lol:
Seriously...wait until next year.
No need to fill up that new space all at once!

Any plans to let the cockerel back in with the flock?

Those other small coops will come in handy.
:gig yeah I know. I really should wait. One plus to getting them in the fall is they will begin first lay in the spring. My spring pullets I have now will start in the fall, just in time for molt season which means they'll stop laying almost as soon as they start. :hmm Actually I won't jump in until 1...I know what birds I want. 2...my breeder actually has the birds I want. 3...I'm also considering trying my hand at a brooder so I can have more interaction while they are littles. I'll have to do some research and study before I take that step.

Roopecca. *sigh*
My immediate plans are to move the gals into the new coop, then deconstruct the original prefab they are currently in back to the original configurations, meaning I'll take off all the plywood that now makes it totally enclosed. Then Mr. Pecca Roo will be moved in to his old home, that original prefab. He has no need for nests so that area will be open and give him an inside area of 7sqft. I might even remove the roost we installed because he NEVER uses a roost. I'll let him have the chance to use it for awhile before I decide that. The reopened attached run will give him 24sqft run area. Son in law has come up with a plan to increase that run area. So Roopecca will have a bachelor pad within the main run so he can see and be seen.
I admit I am now afraid of him. The final straw was when he bit hubby, Bern, in...um...an area of his anatomy that couldn't run away fast enough. Yeah. He also drew blood on my upper inner thigh. Ouch. His aim is imPECKable.
I can't rehome him. He's mean. He has to wear a bra. His toes are crooked. He doesn't roost. No one would want him except for dinner. I can't let him breed for the same reasons unless I was planning to harvest offspring. I'm not there. Maybe someday but not now. I can't bring myself to cull him. I came close! I felt it was my only option and cried and twisted in my heart. He's just such a beautiful Lavender Orpington. When Bern got tired of being attacked he popped him into the "guest house" and I saw a way to let him live. So, my next project after my gals are good in their new home is to make him as comfortable as a bachelor as possible.

Cool! Do you have a thread so we can follow your progress? I'd love to see that.

I'll definitely start one once we have the layout finalized. We should begin framing it next week! We can be coop construction buddies! We all have back problems :gigMy hubby has Ankylosing Spondilitis, I have damage to my neck and sciatic nerve and my dad who occasionally helps out with the math and schematics has had two lower back surgeries!

We can even complain together! :yesss:

I'll definitely start one once we have the layout finalized. We should begin framing it next week! We can be coop construction buddies! We all have back problems :gigMy hubby has Ankylosing Spondilitis, I have damage to my neck and sciatic nerve and my dad who occasionally helps out with the math and schematics has had two lower back surgeries!

We can even complain together! :yesss:
:gig:lau:gig
:highfive: buddies!

We just finished a smaller free standing coop for my three layers because we went and bought four chicks in May so now we'll need one that can hold all seven when the time comes plus room for chicken math! We're currently adding a little security run to the smaller coop because I'd like to use it as a grow out coop next spring (or a broody coop :oops:) :jumpy:jumpy

Pullets don't molt their first fall ;).
Whether they continue to lay over the winter remains to be seen.
Yes, I know they won't molt. I was just referring to the season. My first 4 (of which 2 were cockerels) hatched in October. Rough winter considering I was learning as I went. But by spring I was getting my very first eggs.
And actually those first birds did do some molting the following season at 1 year old. Not a hard ugly molt, but enough to be visible. Roopecca too.
We shall see what happens with this spring hatched bunch.

Progress! Underneath those sheets of plywood is 2 foot high strip of hardware cloth to prevent critter chewing.
Now it's going to be at least a week before we can do more.
20190614_171241.jpg

Back
Top Bottom