FINALLY! We've got eggs! What a long winter that was!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nifty-Chicken, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

After a long break of no eggs.... we're talking about 2.5 months with no eggs, the girls stopped picketing and went back to production.

From our 8 layers we're getting about 3-5 a day and I'm hoping it will go up from there.

Of course, I think the two young SLW's are doing most of the heavy lifting!

[​IMG]

2. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Were your hens supporting the screen writer's guild? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do you think there could be a tie-in with the amount of layer mash they eat? My 12 hens were down to about 3 -4 eggs a day and then I began wetting thier layer mash and feedin gthat to them, which they gobble like it's a treat and my egg number went back up to and average of 10 a day. OUr temps. here in NC are liekly not much different than yours in CA lately, unless you are in that area that gets so much snow, but we have been averaging 40 - 70 degree days for months so I don't think the weather was a real issue for mine. Also, mine are about 10 months old so no moult yet eiether, not sure if that is a factor with yours. Try the wet layer mash, what could it hurt?! Today I had 11 eggs and it's sweatshirt weather. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by