Finally!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by columbiacritter, Jun 3, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    After a lot of trauma and drama my Japanese hen hatched a healthy chick and LET IT LIVE!!! Someone was killing every chick that hatched last week so we had to figure out which one, it ended up being two of the broody hens, then remove the unhatched eggs with another broody hen. That was last weekend and today I heard peeping. When I lifted her up there was a tine fluffy yellow chick! One live from a start of 27 eggs under 3 hens. She still has another dozen eggs under her, so maybe the fuzzy will have company.

She is in my brooder and I am getting 15 new chicks on Saturday so I am throwing together another brooder tomorrow.

Fingers crossed I will have at least 3 or 4 chicks from her by Saturday.

2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Yay! Congratulations! Did you post about this problem before? It seems like I'd read about an unknown hen killing chicks.. Maybe not, but I know I read about it. Anyway, hope it all goes well! [​IMG]

3. Tradeshows

Tradeshows Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    so happy!!! congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

4. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:Yeah, we were tearing our hair out trying to figure out which one it was since all three had done a big mosh nest together.

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] Congrats on the new babe, hope you get more. [​IMG]

6. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    There's 2 running around down there and moms still sitting on the nest so maybe more to come. It's amazing how teeny tiny Japanese chicks are. The runt from my last batch easily fit in a walnut shell and she wasn't that small compared to the others. It'll be interesting to compare them to the Minorca chicks we're picking up tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by