Financial Compensation for lost chickens

Just send them a bill for the $15 - 20 your Ag Extension suggested.
Whether the pay or not, it shows you hold them responsible.

An extravagant bill or a sad letter has little chance of response.
Maybe a quick read, a laugh, and a chuck in the garbage.

You may never get a reply no matter what you do.
Some people have little to no consideration for others.
That's just how it is.
Send a bill for a reasonable amount, then forget about it.

spot

Quote:
If your dog got hit by a car that would be an act of negligence on the owner's part, not the car driver. This was a situation wherein the owner of the chickens was not at fault so therefore had no option to further protect their birds from a dog on their property. They shouldn't have to build a fort knox to keep someone elses' pets out. Therefore, I do think that the 34$ recommendation per bird plus, say, 20$ for injuries to the 3rd bird, should it survive. If it perishes, the cost for it goes also to 34$. In my opinion.

ok another equation then

say you have a poodle and a pit bull comes on your property and rips thats poodle to shreds and kills it

do you think when you go to court you will be compensated for petting that dog throwing that dog a stick putting food in that dogs mouth till he got killed by that pit bull

Yep Ladies and gentlemen It is refered to as Punitive damages and Pain and Suffering! Happens every day in the world of Law! It was my beloved Pet and My favorite 3 hens!
It is Negligence on the Pet owners part and you cant put a set value on A Friend! My Chickens are my Pets but My Friends also and You can't put a price on that! Plus the trauma that you have suffered not knowing whether the one hen will pull through

I am saying they will never learn until it DEEPLY touches their pockets! And lets face it the insurance company (Their Homeowners is going to foot the bill anyway) So Let them dig deep and Pay

Ernie

Last edited:
I'd say go with $20.00 to $30.00 for replacement cost of the bird and add in lost potential income for the life of the bird. Figure $.16 per egg ($2.00/dozen is my rate) at a rate of 5 eggs a week for an active 40 weeks a year for 2 years give a modest $64.00 and that is probably on the light side.

I personally would avoid going the "beloved family pet" route. Imho we have stronger cases against people who allow their dogs to run free if our birds are considered livestock as laws pertaining to harming of livestock are much harsher. Just my opinion though.

Sorry for your loss.

I sued in small claims successfully for $500 against a company who's technician came to my property and he brought his dog with him and let it loose. Dog tore my rooster up and all the girls stopped laying. Since I farm and do report income/loss on the taxes I pursued it and won.

Back
Top Bottom