1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Financial Compensation for lost chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by twinmom+1VT, Dec 18, 2010.

1. twinmom+1VT

twinmom+1VT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Vermont
    I lost 2 of my layers yesterday to roaming dogs and a 3rd that I'm trying to nurse through a severe injury. The State Trooper told me I should submit a value for my chickens and I'm not quite sure how to go about figuring this. Both chickens were raised from day olds. They cost 2.10 each. One was a Golden Comet who laid daily, the other an Aurucana who laid every other day (blue/green eggs). They were about 7 months old. They were fed organic poulty feed (about $22 a bag) and supplied eggs for our family. Do I factor in any other costs? Coop? Time? I would think they're each worth about $20-$25, does that sound right? Or are they worth more? What about the injured one that I'm having to nurse back to health? Does she factor in to the value as well?

Thank you.

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    First, I'm so sorry for your loss. This must be heartbreaking.

Hitting the dogs' owner financially may be the best way of preventing future attacks. Here are just some random thoughts.

Please try to determine the value of the eggs they would have laid for the remainder of their life. How many eggs per day, how many years remaining, that sort of thing. Then find out the local price (at the most expensive store) for organic eggs.

For your time, how many hours per week do you deal with your chickens? Multiply that by the number of weeks you've had them. Divide that by the number of chickens you have & multiply by 2 (for the 2 that died). Multiply that by minimum wage.

I wish there was someway you for you to put a monetary value on the loss of pleasure your chickens gave you. Perhaps if you have a friend or relative who's a lawyer they could help, although it's not worth it to spend money on it.

Personally, I think your valuation of $20-$25 is way too low.

Oops. Forgot about the injured one. Add in all the time, meds, vet bills, if any, and loss of egg production.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I figured it out once and a young hen would be worth about $34 if you include initial cost, feed, and loss of eggs for 2 years. I don't think you can include coop costs, time and emotional value. I would also include any bills related to the cost of treating the injured hen. I'll check through some of my old posts to get the exact figure for you.

Sorry for your losses and I hope your other girl makes it.

4. elijahboy

elijahboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    it would be similar to a dog getting hit by a car i would think or your car getting totaled

how much would it cost to replace that dog or that car

if the dog got hit by a car at the age of 5 you couldnt sue the driver for vet bills up till he got hit

if your car is totaled and its worth 3000.00 you couldnt possible sue for car damages of 10,000.00

5. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    25.00 ea

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:If your dog got hit by a car that would be an act of negligence on the owner's part, not the car driver. This was a situation wherein the owner of the chickens was not at fault so therefore had no option to further protect their birds from a dog on their property. They shouldn't have to build a fort knox to keep someone elses' pets out. Therefore, I do think that the 34$ recommendation per bird plus, say, 20$ for injuries to the 3rd bird, should it survive. If it perishes, the cost for it goes also to 34$. In my opinion.

7. denise70

denise70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Meaford, ON
    I agree that the cost should include the projected egg losses as well. That is insurance would calculate if it were a person. Sad but true, everything has a $ value and they usually factor future financial loss as part of it.

8. elijahboy

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:If your dog got hit by a car that would be an act of negligence on the owner's part, not the car driver. This was a situation wherein the owner of the chickens was not at fault so therefore had no option to further protect their birds from a dog on their property. They shouldn't have to build a fort knox to keep someone elses' pets out. Therefore, I do think that the 34$ recommendation per bird plus, say, 20$ for injuries to the 3rd bird, should it survive. If it perishes, the cost for it goes also to 34$. In my opinion.

ok another equation then

say you have a poodle and a pit bull comes on your property and rips thats poodle to shreds and kills it

do you think when you go to court you will be compensated for petting that dog throwing that dog a stick putting food in that dogs mouth till he got killed by that pit bull​

9. elijahboy

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    research the cost to replace the same age or around the same age birds on craigslist or any other sites

print those out and send it in the envie with the letter of demand

i would say 3 estimates would be enough

10. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't forget to factor in vet costs. If there was any damage to your gate, fence or coop, figure those in as well. I am so sorry you lost your girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by