Finch Egg Incubation!

UPDATE: My female is chasing the male away from the nest to the bottom of the cage, and she's also making bird growling noises? Is that normal? But as soon as she leaves to eat, he hops right in and she doesn't mind..

I've never had that happen, but hopefully she's just an anxious first time mother.

I did a quick search and it sounds like this happens with zebra finches sometimes and it usually settles down.

I found an interesting article where they have discovered that Zebra finches have a special song they sing to their eggs during hot weather to prepare them for the heat. Babies that hear that song (while still in the egg) grow slower and are able to cope with the heat much better.

Okay, thanks! She did stop chasing them and now they're back in the nest together! So cutee! I think I saw a video on that! I haven't heard them sing anything yet. But, so far, we're good!! :D

Bad news, this might impact everything.. My baby cousin is coming to stay for a few weeks, and the finches are in the living room. He likes hovering over the cage, banging on it, and putting stuff in through the bars. But, luckily, my school does end soon, so I'll be able to watch him more, but what should I do?? I can't move them, but maybe he's changed over the the years? I mean he is four.. Maybe if I explain it to him he'll understand? Well, wish me luck. He's coming around Sunday. I'll be sure to keep you updated! And, I haven't properly thanked you enough, so thank you for guiding me through this! :bow :) :hugs

A four year old should be able to understand. Tell him if he scares them the eggs won't hatch and he won't be able to see the tiny babies. Or distract him with games and activities. Fingers crossed!

I'm always happy to help out - birds are so much fun (and finches are so darn cute).

Thanks! I'm pretty sure he'll understand! You're right, finches are so cute! I gave my male a piece of tissue for his nest, and offered another, but instead of putting the first piece in the nest, he tried grabbing the second piece and succeeded! Let me tell you their names because calling them 'male' and 'female' is bothering me. The male is Pikachu, and the female is Poot! (Yes, I name my birds strange names! :p) Poot is a fully white finch; she's beautiful. :rolleyes: Pikachu is just like any other normal male, but he's got such a sweet personality! :)

Okay, so maybe a little problem? I gave them a bunch of tissues and today I saw that
neither of them were on the nest! Instead, they covered the eggs with 4 or 5 tissues. Is this normal? When I saw my old female (Moltres) doing it, she usually stopped sitting on them after that, and so did Pikachu. I'm worried! Help?

casportpony, what would you spray with? Spray the girls? henhouse? both? how often?

Okay, so maybe a little problem? I gave them a bunch of tissues and today I saw that
neither of them were on the nest! Instead, they covered the eggs with 4 or 5 tissues. Is this normal? When I saw my old female (Moltres) doing it, she usually stopped sitting on them after that, and so did Pikachu. I'm worried! Help?

I'd remove the tissues so the eggs are uncovered and take out any nesting material from the cage (not the nest) and hopefully they'll remember what they are supposed to be doing. It is their first time as a couple so even if they aren't successful this time round they will get the hang of it. If the eggs have died they will start to look grey on the outside. I've got my fingers crossed they are still good and Pikachu and Poot (love the names) remember to look after them.

Yeah, I did remove the tissue off of the top and I sure do hope they remember because it would be a shame to have live chicks die because they 'forgot' about the eggs. :( I also do hope they get a hang of it if they don't this time. Also, I heard after they grow up they have to be separated due to fighting? Is this true? The fertile eggs are still bright white, and I can see the 3 infertile ones are pushed to the edge! I just looked at the nest and Pikachu is back on! Yay! Thanks for complimenting the names! I hope they'll remember, fingers crossed too!

Back
Top Bottom